Stand pipes
Updated turbo feed/drain
Injector o-rings
Cleaned turbo
Cleaned back press sensor
Egr delete
Installed ipr oil cooler relocation kit
Ipr high flow coolant filter

The hpop went out(wot psi 680, ipr 85%), is why I did all these things.

Before I started I had a code for one of the glow plugs, so I replaced all of them in that head.

The truck has always had a long slow crank time but not this bad and not as much smoke.

Below are a video and pix from my scan tool
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/...947B57F-7746-00000423ADAB9713_zps983ea4d2.mp4

And these are my current codes, I'm not concerned with the egr codes

And the code assist info

Sorry I have no idea why photobuket flipped everything.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To me it seems to be getting plenty of fuel because of the smoke, it's just not lighting it.
It has about 200 miles since putting on all the parts and I took it out and did some wot pulls to get the air out of the high press system.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
That looks like a Geneysis screen altho the screens look a lot alike on the handheld scanners.

Yea the pics were a pain Lol crick in the neck now.

I think it is a wireing issue from the GPCM to the pcm but may be an internal module problem as well. I did notice your APP readings were a bit off. This may have the pcm useing default values.

Other than that things look pretty good.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a Mac tools taskmaster, my next step when I get time was to get after it with a volt ohm meter to check wires.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to ad I doubt it's chafing because I completely removed the engine and injector harnesses when I did the repairs, but I guess it could be a broken wire or bad plug. Does the gpcm plug directly into the PCM or is it one of the round plugs that lay on the inner fender?

I may just buy a gpcm, the body shop I work for does a lot of work for the ford dealerships in town, so they give me great pricing. The gpcm will prolly cost me $100, way cheaper than a harness and $100 is prolly worth not having the headache of testing and checking the harness.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Good point kinda the way I think but it was your money I would have been playing with, so I try not to suggest those things on somebody elses dime.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
What are your ICP and IPR values during cranking?

I would start there as your glow plugs don't ignite the fuel like spark plugs do in a gas engine. Glow plugs simply serve the purpose of warming the inside of the cylinders before cranking as this aids in the diesel fuel to self ignite under extreme compression.

Diesels operate under compression ignition. The extreme compression inside the cylinder causes the fuel to ignite. The glow plugs simply aid in this process by warming the atmosphere where the combustion is to take place before the fuel is introduced and before cranking starts.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are your ICP and IPR values during cranking?

I would start there as your glow plugs don't ignite the fuel like spark plugs do in a gas engine. Glow plugs simply serve the purpose of warming the inside of the cylinders before cranking as this aids in the diesel fuel to self ignite under extreme compression.

Diesels operate under compression ignition. The extreme compression inside the cylinder causes the fuel to ignite. The glow plugs simply aid in this process by warming the atmosphere where the combustion is to take place before the fuel is introduced and before cranking starts.
I pulled the fuse for the ficm, turned it over and got these readings.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did notice the battery voltage is pretty low while cranking, I've always had trouble out of these batteries goin dead (Walmart) I have a charger on it now to see if it helps.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've checked the ficm voltage many times many ways and (knock on wood) have never seen it lower than 47.95. I'm about to go try it with the charger on boost, it's been on fast charge for a couple hours now.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it could be the problem. Turned the key to start without leaving it in the "run" position at all, it turned over two three times and fired up, it still puffed some smoke but it di start better. Then tried with letting the glow plug light go off first, and it fired right up. Hmmmm so I guess I'll make sure it has a good charge tonight and see what it does in the morning.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Sounds like the batteries are the problem. Your glow plug control circuit pulls a great deal of power from the batteries when the key is cycled on. Get new batteries in the truck before those ones destroy your FICM.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well no luck (it's better, but not gone) with a full charge on the batteries. One more strange thing it does, it dosnt do this near as bad on the stock tune. I guess that dosnt help much tho, it's prolly just too much fuel for whatever weak link I have right now.

I know I've read many people say the glow plugs don't do anything over 50* but I still feel like its a glow plug issue.....they're supposed to aid in starting and reduce start up smoke, both my symptoms, and I'm getting a code for a gpcm/PCM miscommunication.

One of my bus bars was broken, not where the o-rings are but up where the plastic "shaft" meets the plastic long square part, whoul that affect its ability to work? It feels like its just wires inside the plastic, even tho I know a bu bar is a common rail set up.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Replace your glow plugs, bus bars and get your batteries load tested individually. Just because they took a charge doesn't mean they are healthy batteries. If they are bad replace them first before you buy any other parts. Go to vatozone and have them load test them for free.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I already did the plugs, I have a nice battery tester, but it was at work all weekend, I'll test the batteries today.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Make sure it will load test them. Also make sure that they are completely disconnected from the truck and each other when doing the load tests to find out their true health.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea it's a midtronics mbc-5500, pretty nice tester. Just checked them individually here are the results.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts