Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok hear as of late the truck is getting hard to start. Well not really hard just a 20 second crank time. When the oil read on the dash with in a second she fires. After it starts it will start again and again like normal let it sit a hour or over night back to 20 second crank. So I think that's the problem. Anybody else got any ideas?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Load test your batteries, check your ficm. Do you have motorcraft filters and caps?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery's brand new. Ficm stays at 47.5 filters are motorcraft. As for oil pressure the gauge on the dash doesn't read in psi but is sits in the same spot it has sence new.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Wait.... A full 20 seconds? Like 1...one thousand. 2....one thousand all the way through 20? That isnt hard to start, that is major problems!

I have an extended start time now after the truck sits face down hill overnight. But it is a full 3.5 seconds which is way too long.

You sure on the 20 seconds? Believe me, you dont need to test your batteries, there good if you are taking 20 seconds to start! JK, Yea start small, check FICM volts and all the free stuff first.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Try to disconnect icp, then start. you need to read codes, check fuel pressure?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No codes fuel pressure is good it's prolly not a full 20 seconds just seems like it. It started doing this after doing head studs and egr delete . I don't think it any thing major or it would have blown by now. Hell the wife has been driving it like this for 3-4 months. And let me tell ya she runs the ball bag off this truck. And like I said earlier the ficm hold right at 47.5 I know it should be higher but it's not that low. Other than this the truck is a hell of a runner.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I will try the icp forgot to try that. If I have time I'll make a vid of it. It has sat a few dayS

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I will try the icp forgot to try that. If I have time I'll make a vid of it. It has sat a few dayS
You should pull your oil filter and check your drainback valve. See if the housing is empty.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I'm thinking it is. Wonder if you can by just that part?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
That's what I'm thinking it is. Wonder if you can by just that part?
Yes you can, I dont know the part number. Worth checking out to see what might be going on in there.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3c3z-6800-a is the part number for the valve

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok boys update time. I had a few mins to mess with the truck. I pulled the oil filter and guess what no oil. You could tell it had been dry. So I look at the valve and the button on the top is crucked so I taped on it with a long bolt and got it to sit stright . Pushed down with the bolt and she's froze so I taped on it and got it free. Put some oil in it while holding the button down and she holds oil now. But one question how fast should the oil drain with the button released ?? Mine doesnt go down fast . I can get the oil filter off before all the oil is drained. Seems slow Im going to buy a new valve just in case

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Did it start? Are you sure you have a ford filter cap?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did it start? Are you sure you have a ford filter cap?

I didn't try to start it yet. I'm going to let it sit a few day and pull the filter again and see if it's still nice and wet. So give me a few days and I'll get back to you how it starts and as for the cap I won't say it's ford cause it's not stamped on it. But it's the same cap I've had sence owning the truck for like 3 years now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts