Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my truck has a 4 inch down pipe to a 5inch straight pipe and it sounds awesome. but i'm really starting to get sick of how loud it is. the neighbors hate me cause i come home late and wake the entire neighborhood up at night. so i want to quiet it down a little bit but not restrict it too much. I have a TS chip and intake. My main question is. will soot clog the muffler up when i wanna go fast or will it blow right thru? anyone have suggestions on mufflers?
Thanks
Will

·
Super Moderator
19,809 Posts
You should be able to get a pass-thru muffler. That's what came with my MBRP 4". You look in one end, can see right through it. It does have a metal tube inside wrapped with fiberglass or something. It has holes with one side bumped out. The instructions said if the open side of the bumps face the cab, the exhaust will be quieter than if they are pointing toward the exhaust tip. I put mine toward the exhaust tip. Not overly loud, but I didn't run it without it to see what the difference would be.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm ill look into that. i was looking at aero turbines too. do those have a whistle type sound to them with the turbine? i love the scream my truck makes when i stomp on it but, driving it regularly is soo loud and i get alot of complaints

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
could just get one of those whisper mode tunes and coast her in when comin home late..

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
So my truck has a 4 inch down pipe to a 5inch straight pipe and it sounds awesome. but i'm really starting to get sick of how loud it is. the neighbors hate me cause i come home late and wake the entire neighborhood up at night. I deal with that a little too, I just come in easy without laying into it late in the evenings but remember, you can;t please everyone (they REALLY love me when I ride my dad's Harley...

so i want to quiet it down a little bit but not restrict it too much. I have a TS chip and intake. My main question is. will soot clog the muffler up when i wanna go fast or will it blow right thru? anyone have suggestions on mufflers? A pass-through muffler is your best bet but even a stock style (baffled) muffler should not clog up. You may even be able to contact the manufacturer of your existing exhaust and they may offer a muffler for your system.
Thanks
Will

Also, a lot of guys here speak highly of the Walker BTM (big truck muffler) and they say it doesn't destroy the sound but quiets them down around idle

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
off topic but i just watched that youtube video, and how did those people not get arrested as they drove away "showing off" thier new dumb A55 whistle muffler. Talk about wreckless driving, wrong lane, almost head on collision, and running a stop sign.

·
Premium Member
5,529 Posts
:badidea::backtotopic:. I dont have a muffler but then again I live in the getto so my loud truck real early makes me feel better about the loud base all dang night! I say piss them off as long as you can lol, thats just me.

·
Registered
466 Posts
This reminds me of when I lived in WA I had a 40 Series Flowmaster on my '92 Dakota with a 318 in it - the "manager" of our neghborhood (HOA) told me he was going to start fining me for my truck being too loud (It was a 50 state legal muffler, and I still had a Cat on the truck). I did frequently come home late, and there was a speed bump right next to his house, so conveniently I would go slow enough to not make it over the bump the first time and have to throttle it to get over. I suppose if the guy wasn't a dick all the time to everyone, I would have probably been nicer about it.

Apparently your neighbors aren't blatant ******s like mine was or you probably wouldn't want to quiet it down. I'd suggest a flow through muffler with the baffles "cupping" the exhaust flow - really any "performance" you lose isn't going to be noticable.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
:badidea::backtotopic:. I dont have a muffler but then again I live in the getto so my loud truck real early makes me feel better about the loud base all dang night! I say piss them off as long as you can lol, thats just me.
GETTO!??? you have a getto in colorado?
i thought all you guys did out there was ski :hehe:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I think I am starting to be in the same boat as the OP... I have heard alot of good about the Walker BTM, am I going to see a drastic increase in egt's? Will it get rid of the damn resonation at 80mph?

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have a banks 4" turbo back exhaust on mine but the muffler cracked, so i bought a magnaflow muffler to replace the banks, MagnaFlow 12774 - MagnaFlow Performance Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com that would be the equivalent to mine but with 5" inlet/outlet. i really like the way mine sound NO droan while cruising lots of turbo whistle at low rpm and at WOT you know its a diesel. and it sounds much better then the banks muffler did, i dont know if the 5" makes that much difference over 4" but i really like mine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the Ideas. Anyone ever use the FTE resonator? i saw a vid on you tube and it sounds better good. any thoughts? i just dont want to loose the ability to be loud and also soot at times even though that's frowned upon alot everyone knows its still fun when there is the right time and place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts