Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentally put about a gallon of def in the fuel tank before I realized it. What do I do now? How bad is it?

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
I don't doubt ya Justin but man....a gallon....
Me, I would take the loss on the fuel and siphon out as much as I could then use it for fire starter. I'll admit I have never tried sticking a 3/8 fuel hose through a modern diesel filler but used to do it when I drove a wrecker for an insurance company years ago.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had a guy that got a brand new 2020 f250 6.7 and fill up with e85 and drove about a miles before the truck stall. I told him to shut down the truck and I went to tow him 4 hours back and drop the fuel tank and drain completely the tank and vacuum suction all the fuel line. Replace bolt fuel filter and fill up with diesel and started right up. He's put 20k on that truck and its still running just fine. To be safe on your end. I would drop the tank and do the same.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
+1.
Drop the tank and clean dry it out.
Blow the lines and change filters.
Do not start engine until above is done.
put demulsifying fuel additive in with refill.

·
Premium Member
10,627 Posts
im telling you it will be totally fine with just 1 gallon... We had four people do it. three still work here and its because they were honest told me right away. It was under 3 gallons each time for the three and the truck from what I can remember have put 50k+ miles trouble free since. The other guy well... He was probably a good dude but lied about it and did it again so hes no longer here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is full of diesel, ford dealer says I need to drain and put in a new fuel pump so 2k. Are you sure
im telling you it will be totally fine with just 1 gallon... We had four people do it. three still work here and its because they were honest told me right away. It was under 3 gallons each time for the three and the truck from what I can remember have put 50k+ miles trouble free since. The other guy well... He was probably a good dude but lied about it and did it again so hes no longer here.
Thanks but we decided to tow it to the dealer and not take the chance. Now we will be out a couple grand for a stupid mistake. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Premium Member
10,627 Posts
It is full of diesel, ford dealer says I need to drain and put in a new fuel pump so 2k. Are you sure

Thanks but we decided to tow it to the dealer and not take the chance. Now we will be out a couple grand for a stupid mistake. Thanks again for the advice.

You can always siphon yourself for about $8 too. Harbor freight sells a little oil/gas hand pump. I've had one for years to siphon oil out of things that are a PITA to drain and used it on diesel tons of times.

·
Administrator
32,673 Posts

check your insurance policy

·
Registered
4 Posts

I would err to caution and drain the tank completely, blow out the lines, change to filters, refill the tank using fuel additive.
Call your insurance company it should be covered I put gas in mine and insurance covered it all no deductible I couldn’t believe it someone told me to check it out

·
Registered
4 Posts

Couple grand??? I filled the tank of my 6.7 with gas. Had it towed to dealer in Columbia, Mo. and they charged me 600 to drop the tank and flush all the lines plus filters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Couple grand??? I filled the tank of my 6.7 with gas. Had it towed to dealer in Columbia, Mo. and they charged me 600 to drop the tank and flush all the lines plus filters.
Yes the Ford dealer here in southern California is charging me $2500 to drop the tank and flush everything plus new pump and filter and I added oil change .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts