Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase an 2006 F250 6.0L but have heard they have engine problems. I don't know the specifics on the problems but I heard rumors from several people (who own Fords) that the 6.0L has issues. Is this a well known fact about these engines?

I've always been a Ford man and I really want one becuase I'll be towing a horsetrailer and fifthweel. I just want to know what I'm gettin in to.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
yes they have issues
Every truck has issues. Anyhow, I know of two guys who have 06's and they have been pretty good. Not many trips to the dealership and if they did it was minor things. Most of the problems with the 6.0L's were in the 03 and 04 years. Most 06's and 07's you find are going to be pretty solid as Ford worked quite a few of the bugs out by then. Those 2 years are your best bet and with just 35K on the clock you have plenty of warranty left.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
I would have a carfax report on it to make shure there were no accidents and if you were a premium member here you can get a free oasis report on the truck. That will tell you what type of work was done at the dealership to the truck. I don't know if there is another way to get a oasis report there probibly is. Go with your gut feeling on the truck if you do your homework ond the truck comes out clean and you want it get it. Alot of people try to down play the 6.0 but I love mine. this is my 2nd and I haul heavy trailers on a daily basis with no problems. The decision is yours, hope this helps. Usually the 6.0 has problems in the first 30,000 miles if you have a bad one. the 03 & 04 had more problems than the 05 & 06. Good luck with your decision

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I would also have me run a oasis for you to see what repairs have been done under warranty and to see if it is problematic shoot me your vin in a pm and I will get ""R"done

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
My 04 has been a great truck. I'm at 114k so far with only one injector, and the HPOP going. The HPOP was apparently a fluke. I should also add that I've had a tuner on it since 50k, and have been running on WVO and Biodiesel since then as well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My 05 has been great. The only thing so far was my turbo, and EGR went out at 65k but Ford fixed it and had it back to me in 2 days.

Go for it... They are great trucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2004 6.0 results

I just sold my 2004 6.0 F-350 LB 2x4 SRW with 145,000 miles. It was stock, and never had a single problem with the drive train - the only problem was a window motor which was replaced on warranty. For the first 20,000 miles the 'over-the-road'milage on flat terrain runs from Houston, TX to Louisiana and Mobile, Alabama increased from about 17 mpg to about 19 - 20 mpg at 65 mph on cruise control, depending upon wind direction/speed while empty. With about 1200 lbs in the back, it ran about 16 mpg until I got smart and inflated the rear tires up to the 80 psi max which gave me an additional mpg. Around the outskirts of Houston, I got about 14 in periodic stop & go traffic.

I compare this to my previous 96 P/S and 99 P/S wherein I got slightly less mileage until on the 99 P/S I installed a Superchip chip which took the mileage up to about 22 mpg on long trips empty.

The 04 6.0 was noticeably more powerful than my earlier P/Ss especially when passing on the highway.

I sold the 2004 6.0, not because I was dissatisfied, on the contrary. I now need a 4x4 for some off-highway work and my 6.0 was a 2x4. My new 2008 6.4 4x4 LB SRW has 4300 miles on it, and got 16.6 hand calculated mpg empty
at 65 mph on a recent trip to Lafayette, LA (270 miles). I am told by some local guys with earlier 2008 6.4 diesels that after about 10,000 - 15,000 miles I can expect to get about 20 mpg with my driving habits.

I have a number of acquaintenances with the 6.0 diesel. None of them have reported any problems, and are very happy with their vehicle. Jim Haynes

·
The Fat Mod
12,508 Posts
All trucks will have minor problems. The two big things with the 6 liters are EGRs and head gaskets. Since the truck you are looking at is an 06, you should not have to worry about head gaskets unless you put a tuner on it. If you do put a tuner on it, head studs are a great way to never have to worry about the HG.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The 6.ohs get alot of bad rap, some people have had issues with them, but IMO they are problems that are addressable. I have the "oh so sketchy" 2003 6.0, and I've had some problems with it,,, And I would buy another 03 in a second.

·
Registered
492 Posts
i think you would be fine. i had an 05 6.0 and the only problem i ever had with it was an o-ring on one of the oil lines going into the turbo went bad and leaked oil out. the dealer fixed it and i was on my way. you hear the horrer stories about them but i think first they all originated from the early years of use and two they were from a buddy who had one. take the other advice and get a history report and if the price is right go for it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
also if you are worried about it look into the extended warranty. they have multiple levels of coverage from basic up to everything you can think of. you have a lot of time to decide if it only has 35000 on it. seems like if the price is right it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
My truck has been good to me. In the shop for minor stuff and when we put the studs in. Not a single major problem.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I can argue my thought on this subject and some one is ALWAYS gunna dissagree with me. All im gunna say is mine now with 190,000 miles has only had an egr replaced, along with an alternator in its life time. i have owned it sence a tad over 100K and its been a great truck. The preveious ower used it as his work truck and it always had a trailer behind it or rock in the bed. Treated right the 6.0 will run just as long as anyother diesel out there. No there isnt many 500K or 1 million mile 6.0's out there but they havent been out long enough. The older this motor gets the more we will see.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
my 03 has been great to me 122,000 miles and running strong :thumb:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Oh and our 03 went 225,000 mile before the gaskets blew......due to overheating:doh::doh:. And it was driven HARD. These motors can last if you take care of them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We have 8 04s in sequential serial numbers that are driven/abused by roofers. All of them have over 100,000 miles with a couple pushing 200,000 miles. No major problems with any of them. All of them went back to the dealer at about 70,000 miles for the EGR cleaning and computer reprogram. I am having to clean the EGRs about every 70,000 miles but that is no big deal. Between the 8 trucks I have had to replace 1 clutch and 3 starters other than that nothing other than scheduled maintenance. I should note that all of the trucks are stock. I would by more 6.0s given the chance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts