Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and already not to happy with the 6.0 I bought the truck in FL drove to NC and into town the next day and had it towed back :doh:
04 with 93k miles
I am not sure what it is I am hoping its the egr cooler cause the truck began to get warm on the way home from FL and being new to me I pulled over and checked the water it was way low. Put water in it stayed cool next 400 miles. The next day it begans smoking alot like at idle clears up when driving not on take off.
Check water its low again and truck hydrolocks i pulled the manifold off passenger side as its wear the water was pouring out and pulled glow plugs and cleared engine.
No water was in oil at least it wasnt before it hydrolocked i think the water drain by the piston since there was no pressure or water blown out of glow plugs:dunno:

I drained the water out of radiator going to see if it runs in a minute. What i need to know is how do I know if its the cooler or head gasket and if its the cooler is there any way I can drive it before do the egr delete.

·
Registered
283 Posts
its possible that the small hose that connects to the egr cooler and to the intake manifold is leaking, i have an 04 and i had the same problem i forget exactly how to describe the hose buts its located under the turbo and when it leaks it comes from the passenger side of the engine and collant will leak....

·
Registered
283 Posts
it will also be an orange hose and the new hose that will be bought will be blue

·
Registered
597 Posts
sounds like you got a bad egr cooler. just get delete kit. sounds like you are pretty handy with tools, so should be no problem for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am pretty good with tools I owned a chevrolet once LOL

I know I can do the work I have pulled and assisted in rebuilding engines.
I just dont know much about a diesel I dont want to do this my self and wind up needing a head gasket if thats the case I bought some type of warranty with the truck that should cover that. If its just the egr cooler im not worried about it I will fix it myself

Is there anyway I can just bypass the cooler and drive the truck till a get a delete kit ?

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
it should still have the 100k warrenty take it to ford

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How would I know if it has a 100k warranty ?
I thought those had to be transferred if so I doubt it cause the place I got it from bought it from a repo auction

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talked to Adam at first coast diesel and he believes its my egr cooler so got a delete kit on order hopefully that will get me back in the truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts