Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a.) First off, my truck just turned 140k miles.. is there a specific maintenance schedule for this mileage, give or take some miles?

b.) Also, where and how do I remove the fuel filter; I'm planning on getting a new one as I have a hunch it hasn't had one in a while.

c.) Are you supposed to change the manual trans fluid on these? I'd like to do it if its preferred. Any write-ups on this?

d.) Whats the best injector cleaner to use as far as in-tank injector cleaners? Can anybody confirm if Seafoam is DANGEROUS for diesel? I've used Seafoam a LOT and LOVE the stuff in my gassers.. but I dont know about in a diesel.

e.) Is there a write-up for changing oil/filter on these trucks? I'm was going to go with Rotella, but what about Synthetic?? Is there a better oil to go with? 15W40 100% Synthetic Engine Oil by Amsoil claims 25,000 mile/1 year oil changes...

And I think thats about it for now.

Diesel on!

Matt

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
a.) First off, my truck just turned 140k miles.. is there a specific maintenance schedule for this mileage, give or take some miles?

b.) Also, where and how do I remove the fuel filter; I'm planning on getting a new one as I have a hunch it hasn't had one in a while.

c.) Are you supposed to change the manual trans fluid on these? I'd like to do it if its preferred. Any write-ups on this?

d.) Whats the best injector cleaner to use as far as in-tank injector cleaners? Can anybody confirm if Seafoam is DANGEROUS for diesel? I've used Seafoam a LOT and LOVE the stuff in my gassers.. but I dont know about in a diesel.

e.) Is there a write-up for changing oil/filter on these trucks? I'm was going to go with Rotella, but what about Synthetic?? Is there a better oil to go with? 15W40 100% Synthetic Engine Oil by Amsoil claims 25,000 mile/1 year oil changes...

And I think thats about it for now.

Diesel on!

Matt
Welcome to the org.! I'll answer a few of these.......

(a) Do you have a manual? That's where you will find these answers. I can tell you what my 2001 manual says, but you might want to find a 1999 one.

(b) Fuel filter is right up on top of the engine. If you still have the plastic shield, remove it to access the filter bowl. There's a yellow lever on the back. Turn it 90 degrees to drain the fuel/water from the bowl. Catch it in something or you'll have a mess. I use the handles of my channel lock pliers to spin the top off.

(d) Our injectors are really too big to get clogged. i'm not saying it has never happened, but just not usually a problem. I add AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate and Cetane Boost in every other tank of fuel or so. I can really tell the difference. There are a lot of good additives out there.

(e) I use AMSOIL 15W40 Synthetic HD Diesel & Marine oil in mine with their Ea0 filters. good for a year! (I also have my oil tested to keep up with any engine problems that may start. None so far!) A lot of the guys on here use Rotella and change it every 5000 miles or so. Synthetics will last MUCH longer.

PM me if you have any other questions. :thumb:

How's that filter doing?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello Hank!

a.) No I dont have a manual for the truck sadly

b.) sounds easy enough; will I have to prime the system to get the diesel flowing again or will it automatically purge when I start cranking it over?

d.) Not only for the injector-cleaning purposes do I want to use Seafoam, but also to clean the fuel rails and top end of the motor etc.. What kind of differences do you notice using AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate and Cetane Boost? Power? Mileage? Runs more crisp?

e.) The guy I bought the truck from said to use Rotella, but if there are better things out there then hell ya I'm down to try them. I definitely would like to use a synthetic over a dino oil though. How much does all your AMSOIL oil and a filter cost you?

And the filter is AWESOME. It sounds GOOD.. about 1650 rpm's, just cruising along, that turbo starts whining like it wants some REAL good. And the blow off sounds much better too. I cant attest to how the exterior sounds since I'm the only one that drives it.. but I've got a straigt pipe coming up here in another week or so, so I'm sure that the intake and the exhaust combined will sound beautiful.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI, to anybody interested in using Seafoam in their diesels, here is info directly from the Seafoam manufacturers. I'm about to start another thread so it's easier to search.\

Diesel Engines - Sea Foam

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TTT anymore input?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts