Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an early 99 and the battery light is on but the volts is at 14 or so. I am troubleshooting with a 2000 sevrice manual I was told by ford that it should be the same. My question is, if the manuals discription states "Battery light on and voltage increases" does that mean the volt gauge shows normal volts or higher than normal volts? Because there is also a troubleshooting discription that states "Battery light on and voltage does not increase" does that mean no volts or normal volts? Seems confusing to me. :crazy:

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
What are you using to measure your volts? A volt meter I hope.
If i'm not mistaken, the factory voltage gauge (if you have one) is just simply an on/off switch. It will not give an accurate reading of the voltage (I think).
If the battery light is on, it's got to be either one or both of the batteries, or the alternator not charging them.
My alternator went last year, and that was my first symptom...battery light.
I know it is primitive, but it hasn't steered me wrong yet, get yourself one of those cheapo battery/alternator hand held testers and test them both. I bet it will help. :thumb:

·
Govy Magnet
714 Posts
The light normally does mean the alternator is starting to crap the bed. I would buy a Haynes manual (not trying to promote stuff) but I love that manual. Got one for my F150, and will be getting one when I get back for my F250...best 30 bucks or so I ever spent. It will have whole wiring diagrams and schematics in the back. Great source for help with other things as well, from replacing the water pump, to fuse panels etc.!

~Phil

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, I did check the voltage with a meter, and I pulled the alt. took it to NAPA they of course said it was bad. That was the direction I was leaning in, I installed and the bat light went out. As mater a fact it never even came on, that means I got a bad one. I even had the guy check the new one before I left with it. I need a diagram for early 99 specific they are different than the rest. Anyone got one they would be willin to share?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts