Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums. I read around a bit and couldn't seem to find thread with my problem. Anyways...

I have a 1997 F350 Crew Cab Dually 7.3 PSD 2wd. 347,000 miles. Recent oil change and transmission flush. It is almost completely stock except for the 10k mod.

About a week ago I put a good 3000lbs of wood in the back and drove for about a day with it until I finally dumped it all. Truck ran fine even with all the weight. However yesterday everything just seemed to start falling apart. Minus the driver side door handle breaking off my major problem is the way it drives. I have no get up and go, no "oomphf" at all. The truck accelerates very slowly, at WOT it won't go above 2500RPM and say I'm in 1st gear at WOT it won't shift. It will just get up to 20MPH and 2500RPM and nothing. If I back off to half throttle then it will shift. And if I am already cruising on the road say I need to pass somebody. I put it down and it just downshifts into 3rd, 2500RPM and I lose speed.

Now I don't know if this is engine, transmission, or both. If it was just having problems shifting I would say the transmission but since the engine won't seem to rev beyond 2500RPM (even in neutral or park at WOT) I don't know what the problem is. I knew the HPOP is probably going out but that can be the cause of ALL of my problems? I joined the Army as a diesel mechanic so I have some general and specific knowledge but we don't use PowerStroke or Internationals. We use Detroits, Cummins and CAT, so when it comes to the specifics on the Ford side I'm lost. Like the title says this is my daily driver and I don't have a back up.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
Any CEL?? Sounds like a fuel issue to me, whens the last time you changed your fuel filter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No check engine light. And I haven't replaced the fuel filter. I've only had the truck for about a month and a half and still owe money on it so I'm not a very happy/lucky driver right now.

·
Registered
455 Posts
At least give the fuel filter a try. Won't take much.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
What's the idle like?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After looking at a how to fuel filter article and realizing it was Ford simple I pulled out my old filter. The picture should speak for itself. I have not put in a new one yet b/c I don't have a ride to O'Rielly's. This can't possibly be the cause of all my problems? Some of them sure but not all of them right?

As for the idle, no I haven't had a problem with rough idle. Ever. The exception is my '91 C25 which for some reason will idle at 30mph or ~1200 rpm from time to time. But this is a Ford forum and not Chevy and that's a whole other can of worms.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
It looks to have a lot of oil in the fuel, you may be in need of a set of injectors/ new 0-rings, especially with the number of miles that are on the truck! What does the oil level look like?

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
Yeah that needs to be changed for sure... Also while you have it all apart check the FPR spring, with that many miles you may want to replace it and shim it too... Wouldn't think you are getting oil from inj in the fuel bowl... Start with the filter and spring 1st and see what happens...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a new filter, runs much smoother now. But other than easier and quicker starting and faster throttle response it still doesn't shift and still won't go above 2500RPM.

What is the FPR spring and where is it? As for the oil I don't know how it's getting into the fuel bowl. Does the fuel line run anywhere it could possibly be cross contaminated with oil from a leak before hitting the filter?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Read up on the HEUI system. High pressure oil fires injectors which injects diesel. The oil is at a much higher pressure than the fuel and can push itself back to the filter bowl.
FPR - fuel pressure regulator. In the attachment on the fuel bowl, driver side with two Torx screws holding it on.
Just cause there's no CEL doesn't mean there's no codes. Flashing OD light? Scan it just to be sure.
Take out the 10k mod just to be sure that's not causing it.
Check oil and trans fluid level to be sure also.
The PCM will limit the motor to keep it from redlining. At least I thought it did.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
Okay I just reread your OP... Check the VSS and harness for trans... Is there any OD light flash?? E4OD is completly computer controlled so try disconnecting ur bat's to "reset" it... What does the truck do when in neutral or park, rpm wise?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took the 10k out. No difference except for slightly more sluggish performance. No blinking O/D light but I will make time to get it down to autozone tomorrow to have it scanned. Busy day tomorrow but I will make time to investigate more and post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, took it to Autozone and had it scanned. No codes at all.

To answer the person who asked what it does in neutral, same thing. Doesn't rev above 2500 RPM.

Interesting note, the guy at Autozone said the problem may lie in the turbo. When he said this I started high revving it or as much as I could with the 2500RPM limit and I noticed I didn't hear the normal turbo whistle I used to hear when I first bought the truck. There is a whistle but it isn't as loud. So I guess my question now is "Could the turbo be the root of most of my problems?"

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
It's not gonna cause the shifting problems. Maybe maybe the EBPV is stuck closed? Unplug it to try. Electrical connector at the base of the turbo pedestal in the valley.
I don't see how the turbo is gonna be the cause of the problems. You're not gonna hear the turbo whistle unless you're under load really.

·
WNY Biodiesel Co-op
915 Posts
Whats the fuel pressure at idle ? It shouldn't drop below 40 under acceleration, You need at least 40 Psi, 50 is better at idle. . Unplug the ICP and see how it runs . It seems like it is in limp mode. I think its a trans issue with the limp mode Can't think of the cause off hand. All my vehicles are manual.

·
What u talkin bout willis
2,724 Posts
If it won't go above 2500 rpms then check all your intercooler boots. I blew one and that was the problem.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
Okay so let's start from scratch... We ruled out the fuel filter, have u taken apart the FPR yet?? It dosent sound like that's the issue but it won't hurt to check, its attached to your fuel bowl and takes like 10secs to remove. Doesn't sound like limp mode to me, limp mode actually increases line pressure so ypu don't totatally bake your trans. You would have super hard shifts and OD light flash in limp mode. At 2500rpms in drive you should beshifting into 2nd. The E4OD is completly computer controlled and shifts based on inputs from the VSS and the solenoid pack. The solenoid pack controls line pressure, tc lockup, and shift points. After you have ruled out the fuel delivery (IPR)I would take it to a trans shop and have them read codes... A reputable trans shop that works on diesels and buildsE4OD's... JMO

·
What u talkin bout willis
2,724 Posts
Okay so let's start from scratch... We ruled out the fuel filter, have u taken apart the FPR yet?? It dosent sound like that's the issue but it won't hurt to check, its attached to your fuel bowl and takes like 10secs to remove. Doesn't sound like limp mode to me, limp mode actually increases line pressure so ypu don't totatally bake your trans. You would have super hard shifts and OD light flash in limp mode. At 2500rpms in drive you should beshifting into 2nd. The E4OD is completly computer controlled and shifts based on inputs from the VSS and the solenoid pack. The solenoid pack controls line pressure, tc lockup, and shift points. After you have ruled out the fuel delivery (IPR)I would take it to a trans shop and have them read codes... A reputable trans shop that works on diesels and buildsE4OD's... JMO
this is not a trans problem from what i see...its not reving over 2500 rpms.... so what makes you think its a trans problem....why take it to a trans shop?//? thats like saying you got blown headgaskets and taking it to the walmart tire shop to get fixed...

im willing to bet its turbo, intercooler, ic pipe boots, injector problem...

but im leaning more to a blown boot or something of that nature

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
1st you obviously have never had or looked under the hood of an OBS truck. They are not intercooled...

2nd a good trans shop can read the codes from the trans that you can't read with a regular scanner

3rd shift point from 1st to 2nd on a stock E4OD without load is like 1900rpms not 2500

And lastly if infact he did have a boot problem let's say on the intake side of his turbo the motor would be running like complete ****aki...

Oh and btw real Americans don't shop at Scammart

1 - 20 of 28 Posts