Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some reading and I'm ready to decide on one of these two intake systems (either the Ford AIS, or the Napa #6637).

I like the Ford AIS but I've been reading more about how they don't work well with modded setups??? So, I'm more interested in the Napa filter system. Is this also considered the "Tymar" air intake system???

What exactly do I need to make this Napa system?
Can I get everything I need from the Napa store???

Lastly, does this system come with an air intake hose (right now I don't have one, but can get one on order). Someone removed the air intake hose and slapped some cheap filter, that is now positioned closer to the firewall.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Yes, the Tymar setup is the napa setup. Go with the napa. it's cheap, easy, and works very well.

What do you need to make it work?? The big *** napa filter and maybe a hose clamp if there isn't already one on the stock tubing.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Yes, the Tymar setup is the napa setup. Go with the napa. it's cheap, easy, and works very well.

What do you need to make it work?? The big *** napa filter and maybe a hose clamp if there isn't already one on the stock tubing.
you also need a short (4-6") piece of 4" diameter something, exhaust pipe, pvc, etc. Another 4" hose clamp too:thumb:

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I'd go with PVC. It absorbs less heat than metal counterparts.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey GM D, Help me more with this 4" piping? What am I using it for? Is this replacing the stock intake hose?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
No, it's merely adding onto the stock hose to make it longer

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
I'd go with PVC. It absorbs less heat than metal counterparts.
PVC can also break when its cold. And this i know from experience, when it is hot outside and the engine heat and all that come together, it will soften the pvc enough that it will make the filter loose. This has happened to me twice, the areas where the clamps are are smaller than the rest, it shrunk from the heat and pressure of the clamps. And why would we care about heat absorption? Its only about 4 inches and the IC pipes are metal too.

Hey GM D, Help me more with this 4" piping? What am I using it for? Is this replacing the stock intake hose?
Im not him but i'll help anyway since im here. The piece of 4" is to adapt from the hose going to the turbo to the opening of the filter, the factory hose is designed to slip over the airbox, and the filter is designed to slip over somthing else, so youve technically got 2 female ends, the peice of 4" acts as a male end and slides between the 2.

I never really thought of it until now, but the whole male and female ends thing, yeah just think about it for a minute on how they came up with that...

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Good input Jake. Those are certainly some good points and input.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I've had AFE, AIS, and the 6637. I the AFE came with the truck and removed that and installed the AIS. It bolts right in and changing the filter is a breeze. Then I decided to try the 6637 and had it on for about 500 miles and then went back to the AIS. The 6637 and the AFE are loud and I wasn't diggin the turbo ricer blow off noise so now I'm back with the AIS and it's a lot quieter especally when pulling trailers up hills. Also didn't notice a mileage difference between the 2.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
There's nothing ricer about a 500+ lb/ft truck blowing off ;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had AFE, AIS, and the 6637. I the AFE came with the truck and removed that and installed the AIS. It bolts right in and changing the filter is a breeze. Then I decided to try the 6637 and had it on for about 500 miles and then went back to the AIS. The 6637 and the AFE are loud and I wasn't diggin the turbo ricer blow off noise so now I'm back with the AIS and it's a lot quieter especally when pulling trailers up hills. Also didn't notice a mileage difference between the 2.

I also want a quieter engine compartment but I keep hearing that the AIS isn't good on a modded setup. Does this mean that it doesn't work well with other mods like a turbo-back exhaust, and maybe a custom chip? Or that it doesn't work well with more engine related mods such as upgraded turbos, etc???

Also Jake, Thanks for the detailed explanation on how the pvc works. Do I need something 4" in length, or 4" in diameter?
Also, what did you end up going with since the pvc kept cracking under weather changes???? Thanks

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
4" length and OUTSIDE diameter works, make sure its real close to 4" outside cause otherwise its a b1tch to get slid into the filter. I used sch 30 pvc. Actually im still running it :doh: Its never cracked, but it very well could, i have a piece of 4" exhaust pipe im gonna use here real soon. I would make sure you use stainless exhaust tubing or at least make sure the stuff you are using doesnt' have lots of rust on the inside, you don't want that going through the engine. Mines covered in diesel soot on the inside, so im gonna brush the loose stuff out, then coat the inside with oil as a rust preventative, then paint the outside.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I also want a quieter engine compartment but I keep hearing that the AIS isn't good on a modded setup. Does this mean that it doesn't work well with other mods like a turbo-back exhaust, and maybe a custom chip? Or that it doesn't work well with more engine related mods such as upgraded turbos, etc???

Also Jake, Thanks for the detailed explanation on how the pvc works. Do I need something 4" in length, or 4" in diameter?
Also, what did you end up going with since the pvc kept cracking under weather changes???? Thanks
If you have a system were the AIS doesn't work then chances are any other intake won't work as well. At that point you need to go custom.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have a system were the AIS doesn't work then chances are any other intake won't work as well. At that point you need to go custom.

What type of systems generally require a custom intake?

I have an all stock setup minus a 4" exhaust, and a future purchase of a TW chip. With this, and all other things being equal, should I be okay with either the AIS or Tymar intakes?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts