Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,,

My truck is down.

Last friday on the way home I noticed the truck was oercharging, As I was driving the battery light would flicker. I stopped and shut her down, disconnected the plug in the top of the alt (2 wires) and took her home expecting it to be a voltage regulator. I got her home and after getting 2 bad out of the box alts I went to the dealership and picked up a motorcraft rebuild. Got it on and it was initaly putting out 14.2 volts but the battery light never went out. I cleaned all the battery terminals and checked my grounds for continuity. I drove it because it was charging but the light was on. Today on the way home It began overcharging again, I checked it with a volt meter and it is charging 16.5 volts. So Again I unplugged it to get home.

I spoke to the tech and he said it had to be the batterys, had them load tested and they are fine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a reply to this for anyone searchinf due to a similar problem. After tracking and testing wires and a swaping perfectly good batteries out and 4 rebuilt, 1 new alternator swaps we found that many of the alternators that are produced for this truck come out with the wrong voltage regulator in them. An 8.00 part and 160.00 mechanics bill to go back and redo everything I had done to date, take the alternator apart and discover the wrong regulator inside is a crappy end to this problem.

If you are having the issues I described before you spend a bunch of dough pull the alternator and drop it to an auto electric guy who can get the voltage regulator.

I attempted to do it myself in the begining but I could not locate a regulator. They are out there. I would say I have around 600.00 in this and the problem was a 8.00 part that I knew went bad before I even poped the hood.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 02 f-250 cant get alt to charge Only getting voltage to the red wire on the plug can juumper wire and touch the other wire on the plug and it starts charging.all fuses seem to be good including inline fuses also and replaced charging light in dash it was blown . can anyone help

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pull out your owners manual and find the fuse under the hood that refers to alternator something. It is a mini fuse. I think 20 amp. it may be blown that is where I would start. I checked it many times durring my troubles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I dont have any fuses under the hood as far as i know there all under the steeting collum and the are all good the oly one that i saw in the manual that said anything about tha alt wat for towing charge.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
You do have a power distribution box under the hood. Back behind the air filter. IF you have a 7.3 you do. And this is the 7.3 forum so I'm gonna assume you do.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I could tell ya the number but I am not near my truck. There is a fuse there that controls one side of the 2 wires that run to the alt. I don't remember which one it is. I checked it several times for voltage. Sorry I can't be of better help. I found it in my handbook that came with my truck.

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Big Dualy. I will book mark that. I plan to buy a spare or two soon. I was somewhat supprised to find alot of people having this same problem. I was most supprised to find that I bought a brand new alt from a dealership and it still had the wrong one in it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts