Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds odd, but when I am driving down the road, it sounds like crickets. :dunno: I think it sounds like a light grinding noise, but the sound of crickets is the best description I can give. It only does it while driving.

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Tailgate??? My 05 has done that since new. Kinda sounds like cricket I guess.:crazy: I just put grease on the hinges and fixes it till it wears off, then grease it again.

Take ahold of the top of the tailgate (when closed) and wiggle it forward and back and see if it makes that sound. Or, take the tailgate off and drive and see if its still there. :nod:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
check to make sure there isn't anything between any of your brake backing plates and rotors. and also to check to make sure your balljoints and u-joints and any bushings are ok. could be any of those things and some more

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Yep, I had a piece of rock get stuck between my dust shield and rotor that made that noise.:doh:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not the tailgate. I checked that out.

I will check the rotors later today. I will also take a look at the Ujoints, but I am not sure what I am looking for to see if they are bad.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
apply side to side pressure and see if they have any play and lift rear wheels off ground and put truck in gear and allow wheels to spin and see where noise might be coming from. if noise is not heard try puting front and rear axles on jack stand and put truck in 4wd and see if you can hear noise. i just replaced a ujoint on a chevy for speaking but it was pretty bad and very noticable.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Mine makes that noise (or something like it) and I think that it's the carrier bearing. I spray some oil in there and the noise goes away. Have to replace it soon I think.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A friend's suv had a similar problem and I bumped the spare tire while crawling around the back and viola! there was the noise! it was a loose spare tire -- the rubber squeaked on the frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts