Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 F-250 PSD,...and I can get Jet A(jet fuel) (AKA JP-8)....free....as much as I want.

I've done a BUNCH of research and this is what I've learned so far.

I ALREADY KNOW,....,"People"(especially Military) have been running it for decades.

JET-A(AKA JP-8) characteristics are....It keeps water molecules suspended in the liquid, it has slightly lower BTU's than Diesel#2, and it has less lubricity than Diesel#2.

1. I definitly know I need to filter the water out.(do you know of a good water filter, that will filter small particules of water?)

2. I already add 2 cycle to the Diesel,...and I've seen studies that say add 5% of 2 cycle per gallon of JET fuel.

Any, and all info would be of great help.....just keep it short,...I hate long winded, boring people... LOL

TANK

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Interesting...don't know anything about it.

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already know it will work,..I'm just looking for anyone that might know something I missed,...and some info on a good water filter, as well as adding more 2 cycle(how much per gallon of JP-8)

I've seen studies that say add 5% of 2 cycle per gallon of JET fuel.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
JP-8?? Thought it was JP-5

·
Sparkplugs Not Required
405 Posts
Tank, you might try calling a local fuel supplier that distributes for gas stations, etc. They may be able to tell you what you would need to do to bring the lubricity up on the jet fuel..........just a thought. Or, you might try the chemistry department at the local college...

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Jet A is different from JP-8, but similar. The only thing I know about running them in diesels, is the 7.3 we had in the middle east seemed to run fine on it....The cummins RAN fine, but took forever to start. It's possible it had other problems though. Hard to say. We didn't have gauges or anything, so it's hard to say what was going on with the engine. Can't help with much else though...Sorry.
-Aaron

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Oh...I should clarify...We were using JP-8 NOT Jet A.

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I have an 05 F-250 PSD,...and I can get Jet A(jet fuel) (AKA JP-8)....free....as much as I want
TANK
Perhaps send us 10-20 55 gal drums we'll test it and get back to ya's?
:hehe::hehe::hehe:
Lucky you eh?

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Goolsbymd- nope...trust me..it's JP-8

CAT797- I found a website that has done EXTENSIVE testing,..and it say add 5% 2 cycle to regain lubricity.

GreenF350- There is a difference between JET A and JP-8,...but it is miniscule.

" JET A-1 fuel is essentially identical to JP-8 except it does not have three additives required in JP-8: a fuel system icing inhibitor, a corrosion inhibitor, and a static dissipater additive."

2005F250- I wish it would fly,...but it actually has less thermal units(BTU's)...so it will actually, though very slightly,...reduce my performance.....but adding 2 cycle(higher BTU's),..it might bring the performance back to baseline.

·
Sparkplugs Not Required
405 Posts
2005F250- I wish it would fly,...but it actually has less thermal units(BTU's)...so it will actually, very slightly,...reduce my performance.....but adding 2 cycle(higher BTU's),..it might bring the performance back to baseline.

No matter how you slice it, if it's free, good on ya!

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
Yeah...but I'm being cautious with my calculations,..because FREE...isn't always good.

Just because you can get a ** from the smelly, dirty, toothless, homeless lady down the street, for free,....doesn't mean it's a good idea,...see where I'm coming from?.....lol

·
Sparkplugs Not Required
405 Posts
Yeah...but I'm being cautious with my calculations,..because FREE...isn't always good.

Just because you can get a ** from the smelly, dirty, toothless, homeless lady down the street, for free,....doesn't mean it's a good idea,...see where I'm coming from?.....lol
:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::roll1::roll1::roll1: Come on, of course it is!!!..:poke

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Got a dumb question....haha whats the difference between that and aviation fuel people run in dirtbikes and quads?

Oh and LUCKY! i wanna play with some jet fuel hahahaha

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Just because you can get a BJ from the smelly, dirty, toothless, homeless lady down the street, for free,....doesn't mean it's a good idea,...see where I'm coming from?.....lol

Look, that was a good idea! No matter what everyone tells me, I thought is was a great idea :hehe::hehe:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Got a dumb question....haha whats the difference between that and aviation fuel people run in dirtbikes and quads?

Oh and LUCKY! i wanna play with some jet fuel hahahaha
jet fuel is alot like diesel , kerosene etc. ( russians run turbines on kerosene)

av gas is a high octane fuel for internal combustion engine ( octane used to compensate for altitude there is some attitives in av over race fuel for gas line antifreeze etc. we ran av gas in the stockcar with 12.5 : 1 compression and it worked pretty good ( especially because it was free)

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
While i was in the Air Force, i know they ran all their turbine generators or diesel compressors on JP-8. i also know they ran it in the 6.0L and 7.3L that they use in the equipment tow vehicles. alot of it is reclaimed JP-8, fuel that is removed from an aircraft for various reasons, ( defuels, fuels maintenance ). it ran fine. i dont know if they added any kind of additives though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts