Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an email last week from a new rep for the diesel end of Auto-guide.com.

When this site was sold we were guaranteed our rates were prorated since we have been with them and The stop for many, many years. According to upper management our discount was too high for advertising on "just" two sites so we have an increase of 4K a year on our advertising unless we advertise on 8 other sites that have nothing to do with our business. :hehe:

Now on the flip side of this it was confirmed we don't need to pay to be advertisers here. In fact all you need to do is tell people to mention you in a post and you get to speak freely here without paying an Advertisers fee. This is outstanding! Thank you, you just saved me several thousands of dollars a year.

·
back in the saddle
9,476 Posts
No offense intended but you guys don't quite get it. There is a fine line between supporting the vendor policy and censuring the members. If a member asks a question about a product or shop and posts a link to help members understand what they're talking about who am I to censor that? On the flip side if a shop starts a thread, or posts in a thread to promote their own interests without being a sponsor that gets put to rest real quick. If the site owners (who have very little interaction with us as mods or staff) want to delete every single post referring to a non sponsoring company they need to come in here and do it themselves. They can hire someone to do it. Every single moderator on here sees exactly $0.00 of all that sponsorship money autoguide takes in. As far as I know it's the same way on every forum. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about not being paid. It just that if autoguide wants someone to do their dirty work it's not going to be me. I'm not going to censure members because of something I disagree with. It's a judgement call on a case by case basis. I can't cookie cutter it.

Hope this explains it or at least makes sense. I can understand your frustration as paying customers. Paying thousands of dollars to autoguide for the right to openly advertise here. But honestly just because we're called "staff" there is no employer/employee relationship between the mods and the owners. They keep their hands off the day to day operations. Hell of a business model they have.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No offense intended but you guys don't quite get it. There is a fine line between supporting the vendor policy and censuring the members. If a member asks a question about a product or shop and posts a link to help members understand what they're talking about who am I to censor that? On the flip side if a shop starts a thread, or posts in a thread to promote their own interests without being a sponsor that gets put to rest real quick. If the site owners (who have very little interaction with us as mods or staff) want to delete every single post referring to a non sponsoring company they need to come in here and do it themselves. They can hire someone to do it. Every single moderator on here sees exactly $0.00 of all that sponsorship money autoguide takes in. As far as I know it's the same way on every forum. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about not being paid. It just that if autoguide wants someone to do their dirty work it's not going to be me. I'm not going to censure members because of something I disagree with. It's a judgement call on a case by case basis. I can't cookie cutter it.

Hope this explains it or at least makes sense. I can understand your frustration as paying customers. Paying thousands of dollars to autoguide for the right to openly advertise here. But honestly just because we're called "staff" there is no employer/employee relationship between the mods and the owners. They keep their hands off the day to day operations. Hell of a business model they have.
Thank you. You answered my next question entirely with the highlight in bold statement. I guess it's just when you see the posts made by shops of non supporting vendors if they actually get axed or not. I see a lot that have been around for a long time, but I guess its not my problem to worry about since AG won't be getting my money anymore. :hehe:

Oh btw- keep up the good work. Thought I would give you a pat on the back for doing a great non-paying job.

·
back in the saddle
9,476 Posts
Thank you. You answered my next question entirely with the highlight in bold statement. I guess it's just when you see the posts made by shops of non supporting vendors if they actually get axed or not. I see a lot that have been around for a long time, but I guess its not my problem to worry about since AG won't be getting my money anymore. :hehe:

Oh btw- keep up the good work. Thought I would give you a pat on the back for doing a great non-paying job.
Honestly we rely on reported posts for much of it. Most of the stuff I delete is because it's been reported. The site is just too big, with too many threads to keep an eye on all of it. That and I spend most of my time hanging out here in just a few of the sections. We come here to hang out, and occasionally see something that needs taken care of all on our own, but like I said the reported post is what brings 90% of it to our attention.

Thank you for the "pat". I see a lot more criticism then I do thanks with a yellow user name so it means a lot when I hear it.

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
So a member that has big pictures about a product posted on every post and only posts when people ask about suspension's and then always pushes that product is OK? Thats a sponcers shill and should be stoped.

·
Don't mind me
27,561 Posts
Yes Cary Stephen Layson has every right to do that. It is no different than me saying I really like Viv's tuning or all of the Wildman threads floating around.

·
Don't mind me
27,561 Posts
No he isn't and I know him personally.

·
back in the saddle
9,476 Posts
So a member that has big pictures about a product posted on every post and only posts when people ask about suspension's and then always pushes that product is OK? Thats a sponcers shill and should be stoped.
I honestly don't know what you're talking about here Cary. As a general reply to the general question you just asked, I would say no it's not alright. But I would have to look at that particular example. If it looks questionable AND there is a pattern of that member trolling just those types of suspension threads over time then I would say it's not alright.

I know of the member Layson. I don't know him personally. I never noticed him trolling suspension threads before with an agenda but I haven't exactly been looking specifically for him either. I'm not going to agree or disagree with your position right now without that information to form my own opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts