Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have this clunk in the drive train. I clunks when i step on it medium hard and when i let off the go peddle from any accleration. I've traced it to the T case. Ive got a Bord Warner 1356 T case. Has any one had anything like this happen? What did it end up being? Any ideas?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Usually when I have a clunk the first thing I do is inspect my u-joints, then brakes, then ball joints, tie-rods. Usually will find it before I have to open up the differentials.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, ive looked @ the u joints (good) the pinion dosen't seem to have any exses play in it. and it dose it in 2 or 4 wheel drive

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
How did you check the ujoints

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pulled the drive line off and put it in a vice, tryed movein them with a bar. no luck

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
You could try some oil stabilizer. There could be some slop in the gears and maybe a little stabilizer would stiffin em up. I recall reading somewhere that if you have rear end noise or t-case noise it can be caused by a lack of certain elements in the oils. Just a thought.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'll give that a try. any idea what kinda additive?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
pulled the drive line off and put it in a vice, tryed movein them with a bar. no luck
You did what! How exactly did you try moving them. They should move freely. Since you had the driveshaft out, you should have pressed the bearing caps off and look at the u-joints.

It could be your gear meshing is messed up. May need to open up the rear diff and look at the gears and check them for play.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My bad, thay move freely, was checkin for excess play like if thay were bad and no slop

·
Banned
792 Posts
Move onto the rear differential ;).

·
Registered
354 Posts
grease the slip joint splines! it makes a popping if theyre dry

·
Registered
517 Posts
grease the slip joint splines! it makes a popping if theyre dry
I'm with Red, mine was clunking just like yours and stopped doing it after I greased up the slip joint.

·
Registered
796 Posts
My truck has a clunk too but my front shocks got a lot of play in them when I grab a hold of them I can wiggle them back and forth the piston is prety sloppy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
there is a TSB from Ford for this problem. The slip jonit on the rear drive shafthas to be greased. Mine had the same clunk gone now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts