Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got pulled over today in siler city nc by a state trooper and he dips my tank for off road diesel. he was real cool but i didnt think they did that in NC but it makes sence why.

o yea i passed:woot:

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
Huh, he must know his vehicles to just randomly pull you over. Cause if you didn't have the psd badges on you coulda had a 5.4 under the hood. Say i see you have the durabak liner on your truck. Not to change the subject, but do you like that stuff? I want to do my rockers with that.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Did he ask you if he could dip your tank first. That is a type of search.

·
Registered
521 Posts
They are really starting to crack down on that. With the cost of fuel these day's I can see why.

I have been dipped 3 times now here. The last time, I got pulled over by the Highway pitrol and sent into an area where the DOT was set up and they were stopping EVER diesel on the road. Even Cars.

·
Registered
529 Posts
do they only check for existing red diesel? or do they rub the inside of the tank to check for residue? ive heard both but im not sure

·
Registered
521 Posts
Did he ask you if he could dip your tank first. That is a type of search.
In Az they don't have to ask. All Diesels are registered Commercial. At least that is what they told me when I registered my truck for the first time.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he pulled me solely for the dip. he did not ask before he did. he had what looked to be a 16 inch rope and just stuck it in there. i have never run off road in that truck. but still was alittle nervous

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In Az they don't have to ask. All Diesels are registered Commercial. At least that is what they told me when I registered my truck for the first time.
my truck is a commercial farm truck so idk

·
Registered
529 Posts
i accidentaly ran red about a year ago, only about 5 gallons or so. are they able to tell if weve ran it before?

·
Registered
521 Posts
do they only check for existing red diesel? or do they rub the inside of the tank to check for residue? ive heard both but im not sure
Every time they have dipped me they used what looked like a long clear straw. I don't think they are to concered about residu, since most places will fine you for how many gallons you are carring.

I would think the residue would be a dealer thing. Just to be pri**s.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
If they can not see it with only there eyes it is a search. Either a warrant or consent must be obtained to search. If they do not ask and you get hit for something. I suggest you hire an attorney, go to court and file for all evidence to be thrown out. Why because it is in an illegal search and siezure and violates your fourth ammendment.

Also just because you are driving a diesel truck does not give probable cause. There for they are profiling.

Now if they seen you fill the truck up with non taxed fuel that is a different story. But if your just cruising down the highway and they dip your tank. I would be asking alot of questions. Especially if they did not ask for my permission to search.

Vehicles registered as commercial or private doesn't matter.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
i accidentaly ran red about a year ago, only about 5 gallons or so. are they able to tell if weve ran it before?
You can not get in trouble for running it in your truck. It is legal to run in any truck that is not used on public streets. so if you put a tank in, and run that whole tank on your farm, then put taxed in while you drive. your legal even though it could show residue.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
probably not it wears off after awhile

·
Registered
521 Posts
Big C,
I'm not arguing with you, I agree. But the state of AZ doesn't care.

The last time I got dipped the guy didn't ask. And a Highway Pitrol Officer pulled me over to have it done. The one dipping the tank told me that having a commercial vehicle gives them the right. :dunno: I guess it comes down to interpritation.

I don't see it. And I never run the stuff, So I will never find out. And since I don't run it, I will never need to get a lawer.

Now if they give me crap for the BIO. Then that is a different story. But the last time I got the big :thumb: from the guy.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Big C,
I'm not arguing with you, I agree. But the state of AZ doesn't care.

The last time I got dipped the guy didn't ask. And a Highway Pitrol Officer pulled me over to have it done. The one dipping the tank told me that having a commercial vehicle gives them the right. :dunno: I guess it comes down to interpritation.

I don't see it. And I never run the stuff, So I will never find out. And since I don't run it, I will never need to get a lawer.

Now if they give me crap for the BIO. Then that is a different story. But the last time I got the big :thumb: from the guy.
It's all good, I am giving you info that could benefit someone. Just because your truck is registered as commercial does not give them the right. The way I see it is just another reason to get a locking fuel cap.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
If they can not see it with only there eyes it is a search. Either a warrant or consent must be obtained to search. If they do not ask and you get hit for something. I suggest you hire an attorney, go to court and file for all evidence to be thrown out. Why because it is in an illegal search and siezure and violates your fourth ammendment.

Also just because you are driving a diesel truck does not give probable cause. There for they are profiling.

Now if they seen you fill the truck up with non taxed fuel that is a different story. But if your just cruising down the highway and they dip your tank. I would be asking alot of questions. Especially if they did not ask for my permission to search.

Vehicles registered as commercial or private doesn't matter.
They dont ask in NC.

I've been pulled over and dipped in a dump truck about 2 years ago. Thats the only reason they pulled me over, but they told me before they did it thats why they pulled me over and thats what they were going to do.

In NC, they can randomly pull over commercial trucks to dip there tanks. So i guess the same things apply to pickups, altho they shouldn't.

·
Rebel
657 Posts
Good friend is DOT and he said no matter what state they can not just walk up and check your truck with out your Ok however if they think you are running Off road diesel they can tow your truck and get a warrant to check it. Then you have no say so. And if they are wrong they have to pay the tow and give you a written apology letter from the DOT dept. But he did say that there is a fine line when it comes to that. Same goes for semi's :thumb:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts