Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I hope one of you know what needs to be done and the library is closed to study chilton. I have a '97 F-250 7.3l powerstroke, and the starter is shot. My problem is that I can't get the starter removed; there are 3 mounting bolts and 3 nuts for wiring. One of the mounting bolts seems impossible to remove. It almost looks like I need to take out the header or find a new tool (that I can't think of) in order to to move socket, or wrench. it is tight between frame and header. I am going at it from the bottom under the truck, seems to be the only way to access the starter. Does any one know what I am doing wrong, or what I need to do? Hope there is a smart mechanic that knows how to direct me. My feer is having to take it to the shop and then be told I need new heads and manifold, and etc. Thanks alot guys, all help is appreciated. :dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I am not too familiar with the 7.3's but I have seen people do it with nothing more than a swivel socket... Here's a bump for someone with actual experience to chime in

·
Registered
405 Posts
ummm if i remmember right it can be done with normal tools just tight work and its slow jsut keep at it and u should be able to get it off. good luck!

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
Can you post a pic? I have taken mine off with just a socket set.
Craig

·
Registered
683 Posts
To get the top bolt on mine off I had to use a bunch of extensions to put the ratchet all the way in front of the fan belt. It was not a straight shot but close enough to get it out. Once out it never ever will be put back in by me! Most of the Powerstroke starters only have 2 bolt holes but the Delco brand units have the 3rd ear on top. Just 2 bolts has worked fine for 2 years now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
a swivel socket and an air ratchet helped me. It was off in under 5 minutes. Before then i used a wrench...30 mins later i got it off.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Mine went out in a buddies field, ½” socket set with metric sockets and she came right out and all 3 bolts went right back in. I remember having to use two extensions to get the right length to clear the starter and not hit the frame. The 97 may be different, it was tight but not too bad. I have done it at the house with a 3/8 air ratchet and extension and swivel which is much easier.

·
HardLuck Case of the Year
3,541 Posts
To get that top starter bolt off you need a LONG extention and possibly a long handled socket wrench to get the leverage on the bolt. It IS a PITA. Took me the better part of 2 hrs to get that one off the first time. If I remember right, it's a 15mm socket....maybe a 13mm. Can't remember 100%. Though it's the same as the others. I tried to come in through the wheel well too and that wasn't working. You need at least a 6" or longer extention to get in there....and then it's a PITA b/c there isn't much room to rotate the socket. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx guys, I knew this was the place to come, I amy need to get creative like you say, I think I still will stop by to look at chilton to see if I am missing something. I appreciate all your comments and suggestions. Sure would rather be fishing that bustin' knuckles!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts