Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dunno: so on my truck thats in my sig i have a slight problem when ideling it seems like you can hear it ideling rough just like it jumps up alot but the rpm needle never moves so it isnt alot. no no the next problem when the lights are on the lights will go dim with the movement of the ideling problem. ok now more problems to the mix when driving the truck down the road the lights will flicker....:dunno::dunno::dunno::tard::tard: i feel really stupid cause i cant figure it out and it bugs me alot sorry about the long post but i thought maybe some of the techies could help me out with this i know its hard looking at typed words lol but any help would be appreciated... also its a hard starter in the cold all the common problems replaced.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:dunno::dunno::dunno::bump::bump::bump:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Uuuhhhmmm. How's your battery voltage during these shakes? It COULD be your alternator. Not positive on how you test that though. I'm sure everyone else is though lol

:bump:

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Not that I would know, but it sounds like it's an electrical problem. Have you tested the alternator? Batteries seem weak?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
batteries are new alternator is good my only other thing would be the starter?? i have no idea

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had the alternator and batteries checked right after i put the new batteries in and they both checked out ok but i dont know i am at a huge loss its like there is a wire loose but i dont even know where to check

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just a thought here. check your ground to chasis connection. Sometimes they get a little corrision and don't make good contact. Also make sure your connection is tight. One other thing, check the ground strap to the motor. I have seen them fray and not make a good connection.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well theres a start i will have to do that when i get out of class i will just check all my grounds again and hope for the best

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Yeah, I seriously doubt the starter would affect it. As workhorse said, battery cables and ground cables would be the next best thing to check. You may have to take the cables off and clean the contact area as well.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well as far as the battery cables on the battery i know they are clean cause i have had them off a few times here recently when i put my chip in and i cleaned them but i never checked the other parts so thts where i am heading next thanks guys

·
Registered
8 Posts
check for battery voltage to be at or really close to 12.6 volts not running at the batteries, next start it and see if you get above 13.5 volts to the batteries. Less voltage is either a bad connection at the starter relay, alternator connections or ultimately if all these are good, the alt itself. 14 volts is what you really wnt coming back to the batteries, less usually indicates bad connections. hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ck for ANY signs of melting or deterioration of injector wiring harness <also feeds to glow plugs> where they plug into valve covers. make sure key is OFF otherwise extreme ac voltage present. in my opinion- for what it is worth- this gremlin can cause some really weird stuff and it will get worse. alot of the time the connections at vlv cvr smell burnt and sometimes they are loose or bunt under vlv cvr. hope this helps ps 97 back were notorius for these probs. and the 97 backs- that i havedealt with have 2 plgs per side about the size of a 4flat trailer plug. newer have 1 long connector per side

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea i checked the grounds last night and they were all full of oil so i cleaned them but that didnt help much but i guess i will just have to go further thanks for the help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts