Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I need some input. I have been running my stock turbo and gearhead srl+ tune. I put my Mad stage 1 turbo on Saturday and have been running it ever day. What happens is when take off from a stop or a slow speed it smokes a greyish white smoke. It did not do this with the stock turbo. The FICM voltage is 46.0 to 47.5. ECT and EOT are with 8 degrees at all times. ICP is never below 580. Also I have all the power and more from the turbo. Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I thought but I have 300 miles on the trubo I would of thought that the computer would of learned already.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Did you unhook the batteries or reload the tune after the turbo install? I read in another thread that this is when the truck will go through its "relearn" process.

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
With the smoke being greyish white, I wouldn't think it is related to the relearn process. If there was any smoke during relearn, I would think it would be black from the truck over fueling or pulling VGT and reducing airflow.

You can try to reload your tune and see if that will help, but the symptoms youdescribe lead me to believe it is some kind of machanical issue. Did you do anything else with the truck when you did the turbo?

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did load a different tune and no i did not do anything else to the truck. I will try and load a different tune again and see what happens

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Greyish, or blueish white smoke usaully means injector. Did you check for codes, you may have an injector ready to let loose. Might want to check exhaust of turbo while it's on truck just pull down pipe back and use a mirror to check if it's wet. I don't think it is oil coming out the back of turbo, but at least that way it's taken out of the equation. I know I have had a customer with same type of proble and it was his ccv delet lit was pluged shut, and had another who the ccv hose was pinch closed. If the crank case vent is pluged up and can't get out it will go back into the cumbustion chambers from inside the engine. Hope that help.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont have any codes I check that last night. I will pull the downpipe back and is if there is any oil. My ccv is still working no problems there.

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
A lot times if an injector is on it's way out, you will see a low contribution code, but not always. I guess I would check the turbo first, like adrian said. If that looks good, I would find a mechanic who can run a full contribution test. Are you loosing any oil, or can you smell diesel fuel in your oil or coolant?

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
yeah...my FICM reads 48v all day everyday. I would take to a shop and have them a do FULL cylinder contribution test and an injector buzz test to see if they're all working. I had the same issue w/ the smoke and it ended up being my #7 injector

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am putting a new BPD FICM in on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
how many miles you got on your truck? and its odd that its only at take off or low speed. maybe its when you put your truck under a load... does it do it only if you start hard or just start out period

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
110K on the truck. It does it when ever you first start period. Sometimes it smokes alot and others not much at all. Also just had the motor out 4k ago to to erg delete, head studs, and all new seals. The injectors look good when I had them out but I will do a buzz test on them. Also it is just funny to me that the stock turbo did not smoke at all could it be I need to get new tunes for the bigger turbo?

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also the smoke cleans up after about 30 seconds. If I am driving at anything over 30mph and i get on it. There is no smoke if I get on it real hard I will get some black smoke.

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Mine blows out grey smoke at idle and from dead stop. Did it after my mods. I've had my injectors out and tested and replaced two of them. My truck does not burn a drop of oil or coolent, never has. I quite worrying about. Once I started to watch other trucks, most do it also. Watch the big rigs take off, most blow grey to white unless they are really on it, then black. That's what my truck does. My truck has 30k miles, pretty much done it since new. Fuel additive, temp, altitude, lot of variables. If u want to troubleshoot, start with going back to stock.

My advice, if it runs fine, be happy, diesels smoke. People on this forum get a bit too far in the trenches at times, issues will surface their head if they exist. And that's coming from a guy who has completely gone through and done every updated ford part, pipes,SCT fittings, turbo hoses, coolant/Oil bypass, studs,ect, ect, before the truck had
20k miles or a single issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts