Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I am in a bit of a bind here. I need some advice, information, instructions as soon as anyone can. Here is an early thank you and this is the story:
I think the picture says it all!
Can't get the pictures to show in here, so if you right click and open in new window or tab, it will show them.

I was able to obtain the other drivers insurance information, but now the difficult part.. deciding what to tell his insurance company, regarding what is wrong with my 2003 F250.

Cosmetically not much, just a deep scratch and dent into the steel, chrome bumper. My headlight and turn signal assembly are out of whack, as well as some scratches on my front left quarter panel above the tire.

My concern is the actual driving of the truck. It rubs now because of the bending of the front left side of the bumper. As well as I hear a grinding noise, i'm assuming that originates from the axle? The front leaf spring also appears to have taken some damage due to the god aweful noise it makes when I hit a speed hump. When i turn it feels like my power steering is about to give out and I don't know how this would correlate, but my turbo doesn't appear to boost near like it used to? I was watching it on my SCT livewire, and it barely would rise over 4 or 5 psi when accelerating, but when you actually push it you get too much boost and not enough go..??? Could the intercooler have taken some damage?

I would like to know... How much of this is going to be hard/expensive to fix, what some possible parts or locations are that are giving me these noises/issues, and lastly How in the world does an insurance adjuster just believe me when I tell him that it's not the cosmetics I care about, it's the driving characteristics that have been altered severely.

Thank you so much guys for you input and aid. I really need it :)!

Whit

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry to repost so soon, Not trying to bump anything I promise.

I just forgot to mention that my check engine light came on with a few codes right after the accident. I don't know if that information would help anyone help me. But I appreciate the help guys once again.

Whitaker

· Registered
21 Posts
i run a body shop, and i would suggest checking your sector shaft on the steering box, they do not take an impact at all, and will fail without notice. as far as the intercooler is concerned the INS company will replace it if it's damaged. tell them exactly what is or might be damaged and needs to be torn down for inspection at the body shop or by the person that is fixing it for you. hope it helps.

· Registered
3,026 Posts
Where did they hit you at? I got hit and It messed up bumper,headlight fender like you said but it also bent the tie rod and cracked the transfercase.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i spent the majority of the day going from place to place getting quotes for this and that. And I finally got where I was happy on the cosmetics quotes.

But for the actual front end stuffs, I wanted to run some things by you guys and maybe get a few opinions?

I had to pay for an alignment before anyone would even look up under their and tell me anything (which i suppose I understand... can't something for nothin) and one place tells me that my upper and lower ball joints on side where collision happened need replacing, and a tie rod end is bad. Also the same place told me that when they aligned it that was running out of thread.. ? I guess I fail to understand this phrase.

Second place agreed with the ball joints, but was more concerned with the steering aspects, saying that there was something wrong. Didn't get much more feed back than that.

I can describe the issue and maybe someone can help me with a better explanation or something:

Steering feels very loose post wreck, a ridiculous amount of play in steering wheel.
Loud *THUMP* noise when you apply breaks as truck comes to a slow down.
Very obnoxious jarring whenever you hit a bump. Almost wants to just not absorb it as if your riding in a tractor. (I thought since impact was in front of leaf spring shackle it coudl have something to do with that.

Thanks guys!

Whit

· Registered
21 Posts
look at the mounting bolts for the front spring hanger and see if they have shifted. that will tell you about the spring hanger. also look at the sway bar mounts they could be worn out and cause a clunk. ( my 03 sounded like the front end was going to fall out every time i hit a bump, $30 swaybar bushing cured it ) jack up the front end and lift out on the bottom of the tire to see the shift of the ball joints that could also be a noise. as far as the truck running out of thread i haven't heard of that one, unless he means frame diamond but you have to get hit hard to that. easy to check for. measure distance between bed and cab on both side and bed and rear bumper if diamond gaps should be fat on hit side.

hope it helps. can you post pics of damage?

Jesse

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the replies!

Insurance adjuster for the other guys insurance (Direct :() came by today, and I narrowly missed him! He tried to evade me, as to only list the minimal damage he saw in two minutes... When I caught him, I lifted front end and showed the wobble and leaf spring to him, I think he finally understood what I was trying to tell him..

Yeah, letitsno, I believe that is what he was referring to with that statement. I'll take heed with those words of advice and continue to let it sit until it is fixed!

Superman, Thank you for the advice. The bushings are worn a little bit, but still look to be in working order. I wasn't hit to terribly hard... SO hopefully the frame diamond is ok!
Thank you so much again fellas,

Whit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.