Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the i/c pipe that feeds into the intake last night!?!? (It seems Ford took a great motor and shoe horned it into the chassis)

Has anyone removed the passinger side battery and made a "direct shot" with the i/c piping to the intake that does not have the kink at the radiatior support?

I can't understand why this kink exists? The efficiency of the truck must suffer with this bottle neck? Adding to backpressure, increased turbo pressure, etc....

If I get more time I might just make an i/c that will come in as the stock unit (Low on the drivers side), but exit on the bottom (pass. side) and come up to the intake without the "kink" in the pipe!....

Thinking out loud!

Mike

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I agree. Looks like the design of the truck was made and someone came up and said "Hey we forgot this":dunno:Ok just bend it till it fits:crazy:

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Its not a matter of the battery but the core support.....there will have to be some serious work done to the core support to get a nice mandrel bent pipe in there......but that's really not going to make that big of a difference, the problem is in th I/C itself in that you are seeing close to a 25% loss of efficiency thru the stock unit

·
Registered
250 Posts
Its not a matter of the battery but the core support.....there will have to be some serious work done to the core support to get a nice mandrel bent pipe in there......but that's really not going to make that big of a difference, the problem is in th I/C itself in that you are seeing close to a 25% loss of efficiency thru the stock unit
Is this normal? or is it way too much? how did you find that out?

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Big Island aka Hawaii island (its not just a state name). What kind of work do you do? Nice businees trip.:thumb:[/QUOTE

Pyrotechnics. Putting a barge together for future shows.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this normal? or is it way too much? how did you find that out?

I am looking to make a dimentionally equivalent i/c with a thicker core, and all aluminum. With the pass side discharge at the rear. Then I will need to mock up the piping, and have these all welded up.

I need to purchase 10 i/c's for this to be done! Any list interest? Right now the i/c will cost me $500, and the mounts + pipe will most likely double that..... I would also weld in fittings for the water and methanol into the new pipes....

OR,

I may just drop off the truck to Automaster in NY and have them fab this up.....?

I will keep you all posted!

Mike

·
Registered
402 Posts
I am looking to make a dimentionally equivalent i/c with a thicker core, and all aluminum. With the pass side discharge at the rear. Then I will need to mock up the piping, and have these all welded up.

I need to purchase 10 i/c's for this to be done! Any list interest? Right now the i/c will cost me $500, and the mounts + pipe will most likely double that..... I would also weld in fittings for the water and methanol into the new pipes....

OR,

I may just drop off the truck to Automaster in NY and have them fab this up.....?

I will keep you all posted!

Mike

sounds good to me I like to know the progress the price sounds right !!! :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts