Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
well here it is. the MAN generator. Will hook up saturday and see how it works. P.S. you arent injecting water vapor (whatever genius said that). Youre splitting molecules and then basically burning them back together which is kind of cool because after the small ball of fire, the vapor expands and almost acts like a mini mini water injection setup. It probably wont make any difference but it adds at least 10 mental horsepower. :rofl:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Its not B.S. I installed a 16 plate generator on my 99 Dodge 5.9 and got a 4mpg increase. No BS. Im going to try and figure out how to install one on my 2006 F 250 6.0.

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Its not B.S. I installed a 16 plate generator on my 99 Dodge 5.9 and got a 4mpg increase. No BS. Im going to try and figure out how to install one on my 2006 F 250 6.0.
Do you have a pic of your system? Curious what the size is like, and what you paid for your kit, brand etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hydro gen

Hi Nick ,
I'll photograph it and send it to you. Its not on the truck yet but when I have time I'll install it. I copied the Smacks Booster. It,s on you tube. If you can't find it I'll send you the link. Give me a little time and I'll get the photos to you.

Sonny

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Sounds good to me Sonny. I looked at the Smacks and it seems like a very simple design, but are teh mpg increases worth it? I'll wait for the pics

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wow, Ive never ever seen this much debate over water on ANY diesel forum anywhere, including water/meth injection posts. Holy cromoly. Biodiesel. I pay .98 cents a gallon for it, cause I process it myself. Stick THAT in your Hydrogen generator.:hehe:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Wow, Ive never ever seen this much debate over water on ANY diesel forum anywhere, including water/meth injection posts. Holy cromoly. Biodiesel. I pay .98 cents a gallon for it, cause I process it myself. Stick THAT in your Hydrogen generator.:hehe:
Ya, bio is the way to go. It's for real. MAKING hydrogen is dubious at best. I make hydrogen at work (at a refinery). My hydrogen plant is the size of a city block and is ten stories tall. I'm pretty sure you can't make enough hydrogen under a hood or in a truck bed to have much of an impact on your engine.

Bio is for real. You actually CAN make it at home in quantities you can use:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know how the hydrolsis process works I was refering to how the combustion works in a diesel. If there is hydrogen and oxygen in the chamber while the piston is going up on the compression stroke the hydrogen would ignite with very little compression well before the piston reaches close to top dead center when ignition usually occurs. This pre-ignition will ignite the fuel mixture while the piston is still traveling up on it's stroke, this can cause bearing damage, bent rods, holes in pistons and power loss... How does that equate to mpg savings?
The autoignition temperature of hydrogen is very high, something like 600 deg C, although they are not 100% sure of the actual temperature (achieved by a certain amount of compression in a diesel) but I can say that it's unlikely that diesels, pushing at most 1:20 ratios can ignite hydrogen. Hydrogen is a better fuel to use in an otto ignition system (gasoline engine) since the compression can get so much higher and otto ignition is a more efficient cycle (just not with gasoline). Now, whether HHO is actually giving gains or not, I can't say yet. I've got a big kit in my F250 and have been testing it and found losses mostly. Been playing with electronics and things look better finally but no numbers yet. I was checking to see if anyone else had experience with them. I've been told ford's are tough and most get only like 10% gains. Most guys claiming huge gains are full of BS.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
but I can say that it's unlikely that diesels, pushing at most 1:20 ratios can ignite hydrogen. Hydrogen is a better fuel to use in an otto ignition system (gasoline engine) since the compression can get so much higher and otto ignition is a more efficient cycle (just not with gasoline)
If you're talking compression, the 7.3 is roughly 17.5:1.
The phrase in red is very confusing. You say it's better to use in an atuoignition system, like a gas engine cause it can achieve higher compression. But gas engines have LOWER compression.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you're talking compression, the 7.3 is roughly 17.5:1.
The phrase in red is very confusing. You say it's better to use in an atuoignition system, like a gas engine cause it can achieve higher compression. But gas engines have LOWER compression.
Otto ignition (not a spelling error) engines are more efficient than the diesel engine. However, when you use gasoline, the maximum compression ratio you can achieve is 1:10 before autoignition occurs, which is an explosion from pressure. Pressure can literally be translated into an increase in temperature, and there are temperatures in which all fuels will spontaneously ignite. And this is what the diesel engine utilizes: combustion through pressure instead of a spark. Diesel fuel ignites at something like 1:6, but because the fuel is injected in after compression, autoignition is not the problem but the actual type of ignition occuring. The problem is the mass flow rate of fuel spraying into a cylinder is slower than that of a quick spark, so the cylinder is already coming down, down down and losing that essential compression ratio for higher efficiency, which is why otto ignition systems are more efficient overall, but because gasoline is limited to 1:10, diesels are able to surpass it in efficiency.

Now, if you take hydrogen as a straight out fuel, you can get somewhere in the 1:20 or 1:30 compression range before hydrogen explodes. Which means in the otto system you can compress the heck out of it, use the spark and get much higher efficiency than a diesel ever would. Efficiency curves do flatline out at some point, which is around the 1:20 range. After that, the little extra gains in efficiency are certainly not really beneficial, especially when the engine needs to be able to handle the compression. That would be why diesels don't go to unlimited amounts of compression, when they technically could in theory to maximum efficiency.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What a bunch of crap. A fully loaded 18 wheeler will get 6-7 mpg at best. The amount of hydrogen you would have to inject into a 12+ liter engine to achieve a 20% increase in fuel mileage would require a bunch of water and equipment that would limit the amount of weight the truck could carry. Any body that's ever drove a truck close to 80k will tell you you only have a few hundred pounds on each axle for a buffer. I'm sure you know the guy from the 60's that had a Caddy that had a special carb on it and got 60mpg but GM picked it up to keep it a secret.

I'm not saying hydrogen may not work but it's not possible from an on board seperator. I think you would have to use H2 not HHO which is basically water vapor. Also, oxygen atoms weigh 16 times that of hydrogen atoms. So for every 18 pounds of water you have 2 pounds of hydrogen and 16 pounds of oxygen. I'm guessing the term HHO was invented by the tree huggers to keep us evil people off track. I'm a skeptic & until you bring more than I know a guy who knows a guy who said that it works then nobody is going to believe you.
Efficiencies have a plateau. Eventually, the extra HHO you dump into the system doesn't do anymore good, and you actually start losing fuel economy if it's due to higher amps being cranked into the generator to produce more HHO. You do put more into the water to get HHO than you get out in burnable energy, but the theory is that the HHO helps combust your primary fuel better and so more power/mpg. Now, HHO really is just a marketing term. You're getting a combination of H_2_ and O_2_, they just like to make it seem cooler by calling it HHO. And you're right, there's a lot more weight in oxygen coming out, but stoichiometrically speaking, mass has little to do with the amount of energy you get out of it. I did take a class once, and the belief is that when the fuel runs through all the chambers and is introduced to HHO, it breaks down into simpler fuels such as propane, which burn more effectively, and the extra hydrogen atoms are attaching to the broken down fuel to make it into that propane or methane or whatever. It somewhat sounded far fetched, but was a good explanation of it anyway. By no means is anyone making fuel to run on, since thermodynamically you can't get more out of something than you put into it. So assuming HHO works, it must be increasing the efficiency of the burn in some way or another.

As far as computer tricking of the vehicle goes, people are rambling on this forum about how hydrogen turning back to water with the oxygen is cooling the exhaust. Actually, the more efficient your burn, the lower exhaust temperature is. The less efficient your burn, the hotter the temperature is. Efficiency is literally how much heat is converted into work. So if you're 100% efficient, exhaust would be cold as the air going in. This is why diesels run cooler. They are about 3% more efficient. The water in the exhaust after combustion is already the same temperature as all other exhaust around it, so it can't possible take away energy without a phase change and during combustion, it's already a vapor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyway, what I'm here for is to see who's converted an F250 diesel. I want to find out what problems others have had. I've been using my generator, trying different things for 6 months now, kind of off an on. I'm a biodiesel guy, so I don't care so much about saving money. But as an engineer, I want to see that efficiency in the works and feel good about it :)

My newest step is a map frequency mod, as I found out the ford I have uses frequency in the map sensor. Initial tuning didn't work, but i may have tweaked it way too far to start. This time just a slight adjustment, and I think I saw some gains, will find out tomorrow. If there is, it's very small. 5% is the guess tops. I'm also cranking too high in amps. Finally got the ammeter installed today and was doing 50. I feel more comfortable with 25. DOn't need my alternator crapping out when I need those glowplugs in the winter.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
I wishfully thought this thread was dead to never return :doh:

·
Premium Member
20,354 Posts
Ok guys...........

I have no idea HOW it works...but it DOES WORK...:eek:hnoes:

I have a neighbor that installed a kit on his semi and is seeing 15-20% fuel mileage increase going through mountain terrain and whatnot...

I will say this... he has spent ALOT of time and sweat to get with a guy that actually makes a system that WORKS... There are ALOT of guys that use crappy materials and their systems FAIL miserably but this guys sytem has been running CONTINUEOUSLY from FL to OR for a month running loads and has not failed and IS WORKING:nod:

He is actually going to be taking it through CA emmisions to make it 50 state legal to SELL!!!

The system passed through the priliminary testing and is now going through extreme very detailed testing to make sure it does not add any emmisions...

The system WORKS and PLEASE...just keep an open mind about it..

Once again... THEIR are MANY guys selling this "crap" but the this system actually WORKS:nod:

Its freaking pricey though...It would only make sense for long haul drivers and people that put ALOT of miles on their rigs.:thumb:

AND.......i post:sofa:

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Oh God, let's NOT DO THIS!!!

Take this Snake Oil out of here and close this thread before it attracts more Zealots who are dieing to preach this Nonsense.

The "Open Minds" we all had 3 yrs ago have been satisfied....

This is Bull$hit any way you slice it, it doesn't work, not worth the effort, and everybody should realize by now,,, there is simply no less reliable source for information that the hobbyist who's found his magic elixir and get's the results he expects to get ;)

IF it worked, why didn't anybody continue to do it after fuel prices dropped last time???

Please let's no go around and around again, I'm sure there are no shortages of those (like this interloper dudadiesel with his "cause") who are just sure they got significant results. Great for you, P.T.Barnum would have Loved you all.... :wink[3]:

81 - 100 of 117 Posts