Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any pros or cons doing a hydro boost upgrade. is there a kit out there or have to buy all individual parts?
1996 F350 2dr ext cab lwb drw 2wd XLT auto 216k stock

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
No kits available that I know of. You will need a hydroboost unit, hoses and power steering pump housing from a 90's cab and chassis. The master cylinder gets reused but you will need to oblong the mounting holes slightly so it fits on the hydroboost mounting studs. You can also use a power steering pump housing from a early 2000's super duty or you can tee the hydroboost return into the steering box return. Pro's, not relying on a vacuum pump, better brake pressure. Con's, getting hard to find a hydroboost unit, stiffer brake pedal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No kits available that I know of. You will need a hydroboost unit, hoses and power steering pump housing from a 90's cab and chassis. The master cylinder gets reused but you will need to oblong the mounting holes slightly so it fits on the hydroboost mounting studs. You can also use a power steering pump housing from a early 2000's super duty or you can tee the hydroboost return into the steering box return. Pro's, not relying on a vacuum pump, better brake pressure. Con's, getting hard to find a hydroboost unit, stiffer brake pedal
thank you

·
Administrator
34,297 Posts
I did this on my 81 full size k5 it was worth it to me
but I agree it was a hassle and that was not my daily

I sure do like the Hydro in my 06 f 250 and was surprised for did away with it for some of the recent models

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
not worth the hassle IMO
Worth it if you find yourself towing or hauling a LOT of weight. I've done the conversion on a few trucks including my own, not much hassle

Reactions: ZMANN
1 - 7 of 7 Posts