Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to clean the hvac intake and tract to get rid of that dusty smell? There must be a way since ford didnt think it was important enough to put a cabin air filter in with these trucks. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
453 Posts
I know this is old, but I'm also searching for a way to get rid of that nasty musty smell in the HVAC. My other vehicles I can turn the air on full blast, and spray some lysol outside, just under the winshield cowling and that'll suck it inside and recirculate it to get rid of the smell for a few months. Didn't do anything on this truck.

So where can we spray something to recirculate the whole interior and kill the nasty smell in the vent system?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah, it happens to all my vehicles, new (with a cabin filter) and old. Usually just excess moisture in the vents that builds up over time...especially from alot of summer A/C usage. Where is the intake for the recirculate then? Is it on the passenger footwell area? Just want to know where I can spray lysol to clear it up. Works great on my other vehicles.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Air flows externally through the drivers side cowl to the passenger side then into the system. Since the openings are on top and in front of the windshield where it is a pressurized area, dust likes to get into the cowl area. I now shoot water into the area every wash to help wash away dust and dirt. Then internally on recirculate the air is sucked from driver and passenger side footwells

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Remove the blower fan and clean the compartment out, prolly surprise you what you see in there -- run a water hose in there, just be careful not to bend the evaporator fins

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks for the posts. I looked all around and even sprayed lysol around the drivers side cowl under the windshield and nothing was getting sucked inside the cab with the truck and air running. I couldn't see any opening over there. I'll check again. But if that fails just spray on the footwell areas inside the cab should work.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah...just a bit more than I wanted to do ;). Why you pulling the whole dash? So while you've got it out...where is the recirc opening valve in the system? Is it on the drivers or passenger floor area?

·
Registered
101 Posts
How similar is the 6.4 to the 6.0? I couldn't get any airflow out of the vents in the cabin even with the fan turned on its highest setting. On my truck, the fan that blows into the cabin is under the hood and on the passenger side. I removed the fan and beyond the fan and down to the right is a coil similar to the A coil in a house air conditioner. Sorry if the label coil isn't correct. I got some A coil cleaner from the hardware and sprayed it on the coil in the truck and let it sit for awhile after vacuuming the area out with a Red Devil hand vac which has a long snout attachment. When the cleaner dried some I used a flexible brush and a tooth brush to clean the fins on the coil and then repeated this process a couple more times without waiting for the coil cleaner to dry. Vacuumed again and put the fan back in and now have pretty decent A/C flow.

I was kind of surprised there was no cabin filter as you are basically getting dirty air coming in from under the hood. My truck is a work truck and saw a lot of dirt and dust.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The 6.0 is completely different than the 6.4. The blower motor on the 6.4 is inside the cab above the passenger foot area. The A coil you referenced is known as the evaporator core, pretty much the same function as a house A coil. The only way to access the evap core on a 6.4 is by removing the dash and the HVAC box. In this attachment I circled in red the evap core compartment and in yellow is the heater core.

I was surprised how clean my evap was, other than the oil build up where it leaked. 2008 model with 195k miles on it.

I'm about 6hrs into removing the dash completely and HVAC box, 6hrs taking my time not in a real hurry. I started putting it back together yesterday, gotta have my buddy come help get the dash set back in this evening, hopefully install will be a little easier now that I know where everything is. Hoping to have it up and running Saturday afternoon sometime.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts