Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I replace both front hub assemblies, do I need to replace the actuators for the 4wd also? I was planning on just using the old ones with the new hub assemblies

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
If they work, then clean/ relube and reuse.

You will want to get these: 5C3Z1K106AB (two)

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
If your truck has a lot of miles and never had the 4wd locks services I highly recommend getting that kit and doing a service to them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it has 167K on it now. So ya’ll recommend the hub assembly replacement with new seals Greg mentioned above? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
2006 F350 SuperCab, 4x4, AT, Cab & Chassis, 9' flatbed, dually, studded/egr deleted
562 Posts
I'm glad I came across this thread. I really need to unlock my hubs..

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm glad I came across this thread. I really need to unlock my hubs..
Is there an advantage to moving the hubs from auto > unlocked when you wont be using 4wd?

·
Premium Member
2006 F350 SuperCab, 4x4, AT, Cab & Chassis, 9' flatbed, dually, studded/egr deleted
562 Posts
Is there an advantage to moving the hubs from auto > unlocked when you wont be using 4wd?
According to the driveline shop that replaced my u-joints, the city department never unlocks their hubs and they have to get new outer u-joints or maybe it was front driveshaft u-joint/cv joint every year or so.

But to answer your question - I choose to manually lock because I never replaced my auto switch because I like the option of 2LO. With the truck in AUTO and unlocked, than they are unlocked. Unlocked hubs mean the front axle shaft isn't turning, therefore less wear on the u-joints on the axle and the front driveshaft.

·
Administrator
32,119 Posts
it is easy to reach in and see if you can turn the axle shaft at the u joint ( knuckle area) check both sides occasionally and this will let you verify your hubs are locking and unlocking properly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts