Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you tell if your HPOP is working or leaking? Im not building oil pressure while attempting to start. I am getting fuel and air. 05 auto

·
Registered
260 Posts
Remove your oil filter and there is a valve type thingy in the bottom that the filter would normally depress when installed, use something to press it and crank it over(be carefull). If you get oil in the filter housing your lpop is working and you know there is an hpop problem. Being that it is an 05, if the STC fitting has not been retrofitted with the new bracket then there is a good chance thats the problem.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not building according to gauge. and no its not starting at all. What if its the STC fitting i have read alittle about it but does someone know of where a write up is to show the process and stuff.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Unplug the icp sensor it should put it in a limp mode and see if it starts. If it does it may be just the sensor. There is a test to plumb 100lbs of air into the icp port to test if your loosing hp oil , but youll have to get a special fitting to do it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how the heck do you guys unplug that thing, i have 21 year old hands and nimble fingers and i can't get to the dang thing, any tips? But i did notice that oil had deff ran down the valley and back of the block from that location, although not wet to the touch you can tell it has ran down there before

·
Smoke Eater
1,305 Posts
hogan where ya located in ohio?.. i may be able to help you

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay apparently im retarded, i was reading write ups for 03-04 trucks to unplug the icp sensor when on the 05s its right under the hot pipe on the passenger head. Anyways i unplugged it and still no start, what would you guys recommend next to try

·
Registered
843 Posts
*CAUTION*

I found out after the fact that this was a bad idea, but it worked for me. I had my truck die on me right after getting it tuned by Cale at BTS...so I fooled with it and couldnt get it cranked up. Cale told me to test the lpop like above and oil filled up the oil filter thing so I knew that was good. Motor is getting lube at that point. So, here comes the dangerous part, I gave it a wiff of starter fluid, I mean like outside the grill into my zoodad type of wiff, not a tractor type of hose it down till it starts...lol. Well it started up and would run as long as I stayed above idle, it if went to idle the oil pressure gauge would drop to nothing and die after a few seconds. So I was able to drive it to BTS just by keeping it above idle, replaced the HPOP and all was fine after that. But just be super-careful about that starting fluid!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well with mine being an 05 im worried that its just the fitting that is leaking causing my hpop to not work right. But I dunno if i should tear everything off the top of the motor to get to the pump or if there is a way to single out the problem now. My truck is broke down in my driveway and im debating on just having it towed to ford so they can figure out the problem and then im capable of doing the work.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Here's the best way to diagnose for an HPOP leak without a teardown. Remove the IPR sensor which is in the passenger side front of the valve cover---has 3 wires going to it---use this hole to pressurize the HPO system with air. Remove the oil fill cap, remove the CCV hose that goes into the air intake from the other valve cover, take a piece of heater hose and listen in BOTH spots. If you hear air coming from either one it's probably a leak in one of the oil rails. If you hear air coming from BOTH sides it's probably the STC fitting. The HPOP itself if virtually bulletproof on the 05-07 motors, but leaks can and do occur.

Just because you're not building oil pressure on the incab gauge means virtually nothing. If you want to check that remove the oil cap and filter, hold down the oil drain valve in the bottom of the filter housing with a screwdriver and see there is oil running into the filter housing while the engine is cranking. If so, then it's NOT the LPOP. Probably isn't anyway.

There are other diagnostics you can do, but this is the HPO leak test procedure that is the easiest for the driveway mechanic.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay alittle update LPOP works fine, now when i go to pressurize the hpop how much pressure should i use?

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Can anyone elaborate on the STC fitting? I'm curious what exaxtly it is they replace. Anyone have pics?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
okay alittle update LPOP works fine, now when i go to pressurize the hpop how much pressure should i use?
Considering how much pressure it's capable of holding, I don't think it matters that much. 50-100 PSI should more than sufficient. It will have to be "enough" that you can hear it blowing internally.

·
Registered
195 Posts
STC (snap tp connect) This fitting connects the HPOP to the High pressure oil branch. This fitting is like a Quick disconnect fitting on your air hose, why they would use this fitting on high pressure oil is beyond me. It has been upgraded to a threaded fitting. There also oil rail plugs that are known to leak, they also have an upgraded seal for those as well, you may as well upgrade every thing why your in there

·
Registered
703 Posts
HM5

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay i have ran all over the free world looking for any type of adaptor that will convert the threads of the ICP valve to something i can use to connect an air hose to. Does anyone know of where i can even find something, can i go to ford and get one? I can['t even find a place where i can match the threads of the valve

·
Registered
703 Posts
i went to ford and the only stc part they could come up with at three different dealers was what i bought and it looks exactly like whats already in the truck, i just pulled the cover 5 min ago..are both ends threaded or what? the part i got has the STC on one end and threads at the other..:dunno:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here are the part #'s for the upgraded fitting and the D-rings for the oil rail plugs.

Upgraded fitting- 4c3z-9b246-c

D-rings-w301390 & w301386. Ther are a total of four seals two for the left oil rail and two for the right.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts