Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK here is the story. I completely overhauled this engine, due to a melted piston. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/72...-cylinder.html
It has started a couple times since the rebuild and ran for over a half hour each time. On this first startup it would not start after I shut it down.
I had to leave it for about 3 days and when I got back to it she started right up and ran good for another half hour or so. In fact this time I shut it off and started it about 3-4 times. On the last start it just died on it's own and now won't start.
Engine is a 2000 7.3 Powerstroke.
Some symptoms;
The Engine Oil Pressure gauge reads 75-80% while the engine is cranking on the starter.
The HPOP reservior remains full.
New Cam Position Sensor.
Over 80psi fuel rail pressure.
Using a scanner I find;
InjPrsReg% 15 with just the key on then climbes to 65 while trying to start.
InjCtrlPs(psi) jumps to +1700, the engine fires but then the pressure instantly falls to under 100psi in fact it will eventually fall into the 45-46 range.
While the engine was running for those half hour stints it sounded healthy, no bad sounds at all.
It reached operating temp both times.
The oil pressuse stayed at around 75-80% on dash gauge.
The HPOP pressure varied between 600 and over 1800psi.
So what are your thoughts?
Is the HPOP bad? I doubt it because it has hit the +1700 psi mark once on each starting attempt.
Is the HPOP Regulator bad? I don't know. :dunno:
Is the HPOP Regulator recieving a faulty signal from the computer? I don't know. :dunno:
What else could be going on? :dunno:
So if any of you have any insite on this please speak up, I need all the help I can get.
Thanks ..... Ken Gardner

·
Registered
659 Posts
sounds like maybe a bad ipr oring or bad ipr.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure

do you get a wierd rapid clicking sound from the dash when trying to start?
I don't remember hearing anything like that. I am sort of hard of hearing so there sure could have been. I could get my wife to listen for me, she is pretty good at that. If so what would it mean?
Thanks .... Ken Gardner

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
If it is clicking check your battery cables.. I could be way out in left field, but I had similar symptoms awhile back and it was a bad battery cable. The truck wouldn't start (sometimes it would if it were plugged in).. Once you did start it, it would restart before cooling down. if it sat to long it would not start again...

Just an Idea.. :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts