Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
diagnosed problem to be bad hpop and replaced had to take reservoir back off and a 3 inch piece of gasket broke off and fell down in to timing cover.I can see the gasket leaning on the gear down there but can not pull it out.
How severe of a problem do I have if I leave it in there?
Thanks for any advice in advance

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reservoir is off and I have that tool it is to big.there is a space of about the width of a quarter that I have to work with

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Maybe?
You’d need to order but they are cheap enough.

You also may be able to make something similar out of stainless steel wire.

·
Registered
398 Posts
No one answered if it's a problem to leave it in there?

I'd think it would get chewed up and caught by the oil filter but it could clog and injector?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
thats what i was looking for.

I think you got the answers you did be most think you should get the debris out of your engine.

The piece of gasket might not hurt anything but it might cause problems that could be expensive to repair.

I’m far from an expert on these engines but my guess is that your HPOP and injectors are at risk.

If i was in your situation, as long as I still had a chance of getting it out without completely tearing down the engine, I’d do/try everything I could to fish it out of there.

Engines have oil filters because debris in the oil is a bad thing.
I encourage you to get that gasket out, it must be brittle or it wouldn’t have broken. The chances of it just floating around and not causing problems are small.

I assume you already know this stuff, are you just wanting someone to tell you it’s ok to leave it?

It might be ok, it might not be. It’s your gamble, not mine/ours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking for worst case scenario's.agree'd anything floating around is not good but unless I take timing chain cover off it's not coming out, and thats not something I can do right now.
Thanks for all the input.btw it was a new gasket.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Worst case I think is it'll grenade an injector depending on where it is in the system oil path. I don't know how the injectors use the oil or when it reaches them. Best case it gets caught by the filter.

My guess is if you were a mechanic and this wasn't your truck, you'd leave it.

If you can't find any way to get it out I guess it doesn't matter you're going to chance it.

If you can physically see it you should be able to get it albeit a tool purchase.

Either way.. update your thread for the next guy who does it. If you leave it in I'd probably change the oil filter after a few miles and see if it's in there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got it going, just could not get to that piece of gasket it slid all the way to the bottom of the timing chain cover,I tried.If the injectors go out I can live with that.It is my truck and i am very particular as what i do to it.I just don't want to pull engine to take off timing chain cover for that.I will update as needed.Thanks everybody for all responses.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
got it going, just could not get to that piece of gasket it slid all the way to the bottom of the timing chain cover,I tried.If the injectors go out I can live with that.It is my truck and i am very particular as what i do to it.I just don't want to pull engine to take off timing chain cover for that.I will update as needed.Thanks everybody for all responses.

FWIW.
I’d be an absolute basket case worried that my truck would/could take a crap at any moment.

I know that injectors are big job with a hefty price tag.

I really hope that this works out in your favor.
Hopefully the thing turns up in your filter all in one piece.

Dam, I was really pulling for you to find a way.

I actually had a buddy bringing me some heavy gauge stainless wire tomorrow.

I had an idea that I could make a tweezer. Planned on bending the wire similar to a safety pin, then sharpening the tips.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Ayup, a fish hook sort of tool would work

Question earlier about the oil filter -- the oil in the reservoir is after the filter

·
Registered
398 Posts
He'll know pretty quick. Once it gets back to the pan he should be safe. So within a couple minutes of idling.

I'm sure shops do this crap all the time and we never know. I don't know any mechanic who would fess up to a few more shop labor hours for no pay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ran it about a hour get all the air out runs good.has about a 1000 miles since last oil change might just change it and see whats in there.
Thanks everybody....btw this site is where i get all my knowledge on powerstrokes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I talked with someone who has considerable more knowledge than me on this and was told best case 2 scenarios is 1 the piece of gasket will stay right where it’s at and 2 or will fall into the oil pan.
Worst case is it will get chewed up and will harden in time,they said it will not stay pliable but harden and could get stuck and clog oil cooler or go into injectors.the word catastrophic was also used.If I could do it all over again would I do anything differently I don’t know.If anything adverse happens it will take awhile,just have to wait and see.Hope this may help someone out in the future.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I talked with someone who has considerable more knowledge than me on this and was told best case 2 scenarios is 1 the piece of gasket will stay right where it’s at and 2 or will fall into the oil pan.

Worst case is it will get chewed up and will harden in time,they said it will not stay pliable but harden and could get stuck and clog oil cooler or go into injectors.the word catastrophic was also used.If I could do it all over again would I do anything differently I don’t know.If anything adverse happens it will take awhile,just have to wait and see.Hope this may help someone out in the future.
I guarantee if it was a shop they would have just left it. No way they'd do the additional labor to fish it out. I guarantee that these things happen all the time and we never know then if we have a catrostrophic failure they blame something else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts