Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I haven't had any issues but wanted to check my HPOP/IPR values with you guys.

According to the PDF chart I have for all values the IPR% ranges from 0-85% and all KOEO, high idle values appear to be spot on when checked. I have the round 2004 pump with 105k original miles and was reinstalled when I yanked the engine out a few years ago.

With that said, while towing yesterday pulling a hill with a trailer @ 2800-3200 RPM sustained my IPR percent hit 84.8% and pretty much stayed there until I crested the hill and let off. Should the IPR stay at about what I am seeing or should it read higher during loaded pulls?

From what I understand 85% ' ish is full open.

Thanks for the help.
Joe

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,525 Posts
Hard to say without seeing the ICP and ICP DESIRED numbers also. That said, that duty cycle means that you were pretty much "maxed out" on the high pressure oil pressure. Were you towing a heavy load? Steep incline?

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
For reference, I see high 70s IPR when pulling 12k up a 6% incline at 65 MPH before I need to slow down for EGTs. I don’t know my ICP desired

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't note the desired, but yes I was towing 20k up a 6% grade for about a 3 mile pull when I noticed the numbers.

·
5,525 Posts
How high was the actual ICP pressure?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn to be honest I did not look since it was raining and I had to keep my eyes on the road.

I did do a few hard full throttle pulls on the way home from work this morning (unloaded, with matt's tow tune installed )
At operating temp:

IDLE
ICP psi- 1145.0
IPR %- 29.7

60 MPH:
ICP psi- 1819.0
IPR%- 48.4%

Full throttle:
ICP psi- 4216.1
IPR%- 84.8

Runs great but I am wondering if the pump is showing it's age at this point....it is original but I did not change it due to advice given that the rounds "normally" last 200k./

With the accepted operating reference range from 0-85%, I am thinking I am ok but maybe it is getting weak. Cold starts are within a second or two and baselines are good....IPR got changed less than 1k ago out of age.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I can’t comment on other than idle, but I get less ICP about 600, and pretty close to the same IPR.

·
5,525 Posts
I think you might be right about the pump being weak.

The round pump in your 04 is essentially the same pump as the round pump in the 03's.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hard to say without seeing the ICP and ICP DESIRED numbers also. That said, that duty cycle means that you were pretty much "maxed out" on the high pressure oil pressure. Were you towing a heavy load? Steep incline?

Are you around 3/4 throttle or more?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Also here to see if an answer comes up. My late 04 shows 85% usually when floored or towing up a hill.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Weberman3,

I am rarely pegged to the floor (probably close) but it seems that the 84.8% is holding steady for me. I have a call in to diesel site since there HD pump is what I would go with. I want to run my numbers by them and see what they say.
I will post any info related.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Yeah I'm gonna go with their slightly larger than stock option from them

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you experiencing any types of issues?

How many miles on your unit?

·
5,525 Posts
Are you around 3/4 throttle or more?
I don't recall ever being maxed out on IPR % duty cycle command (or with ICP pressure) - even when stomping on the accelerator (which I try to avoid now that I am older and wiser).

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
For my 6% grade with 12k hitting high 60s, IMHO that is normal. For pulling 20k up 6% grade, IMHO that is also normal. These trucks are designed for a GVWR around 26k, so you were towing above it, so to me makes sense its at the limits.

For my instance, I am not worried about it. I have no issues driving.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For my 6% grade with 12k hitting high 60s, IMHO that is normal. For pulling 20k up 6% grade, IMHO that is also normal. These trucks are designed for a GVWR around 26k, so you were towing above it, so to me makes sense its at the limits.

For my instance, I am not worried about it. I have no issues driving.
If I wasn't hitting it on level ground, unloaded and un-tuned (matt's unlimitted tow) then it may not worry me. I am merely info gathering and don't know if I am over reacting to a non situation...the problem is I never noticed it until recently. It may have been this way and I just never looked WOT or towing.

I am normally tuned in on ECT, TFT and FMP....never IPR or ICP because I figure if it is running good then why worry about those.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
If I wasn't hitting it on level ground, unloaded and un-tuned (matt's unlimitted tow) then it may not worry me. I am merely info gathering and don't know if I am over reacting to a non situation...the problem is I never noticed it until recently. It may have been this way and I just never looked WOT or towing.

I am normally tuned in on ECT, TFT and FMP....never IPR or ICP because I figure if it is running good then why worry about those.
Believe me I appreciate the info gathering. It has crossed my mind when I see IPR getting so high. Nice to know others are seeing similar.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You got it brother. I will be sure to report back once I talk to the diesel site tech later today and share my concerns/values.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Are you experiencing any types of issues?

How many miles on your unit?
No issues really. My injectors are causing hard starts when cold but there is smoke out of the pipe so I know its building pressure and firing. I just see the 85% and the ICP seems with spec. I'm running Looney Wild PCT. I have 268k now I believe

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I talked to Jennifer (tech line) over at Diesel Site and she shed some light on a few things. First off, there is no such thing as a pump getting "weak". She actually laughed when I mentioned that because they have heard it for years and she has no idea who came up with that. From what she said the pump casting is the main issue that causes internals to wear, break or fail....which in turn could be misconstrued as a weak pump. This is the primary reason they developed their own pump from one solid piece of billet. "When they break they break and leave you stranded, they don't get weak and give you an idea it is time to change them".

Secondly, from what she explained, there should be some difference in IPR and ICP readings whether empty or loaded, but not drastically different. When the pump is working, it is working regardless of load and throttle application.

One thing she did mention about my numbers is that my ICP psi is way high at WOT and should only tap out at 3700-3800 psi, not in the 4200's as mine is. Right away she asked about my tune and I explained it was Matt's unlimited tow tune (supposedly no fueling, only tow/haul accentuation and shift points). Her answer was "they must have written the tune to make your PCM work your ICP to that range." It isn't a bad thing, but that is what she suspects.

Jennifer asked about my ICP volts and I didn't have a definitive answer. What she did mention is that ICP volts will never change with a tune and that is what I need to look at. 1.0V of ICP value is equal to 750psi at the ICP sensor reading.

She asked me to go out and drive it and confirm some numbers, then to call her back because she was curious on what I bring to the table.

I am going to do one better. I am going to return it to complete stock (OEM strategy) and do a few test runs to see what i get with that....I am curious to see what changes if anything. Unfortunately the 175/30's and stage II may not like a non-custom tune so I'll play that one by ear.

Out of curiosity I asked her about the early round pump's life span and her experience with them. She stated she has seen them go as far as 425k miles and as little as 5k miles and what they found, was the casting of the pump being the main contributor to premature pump failure a large majority of the time. As far as she was concerned and based on my engine performance and trouble free engine, all my worries are for nothing.....but I am sure most of you know me by now and know I am a hardcore skeptic fool and have to prove to myself it's all good.;)

More to come soon.

Thanks for the time
Joe

1 - 20 of 39 Posts