Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
They look proper to me. I've attached a link to the values I go by on my excel, the tab named torque app. I dont know if you were pulling but your trans temp seems a little high. I see 150s-160s in the winter when its 60degrees out no pulling. I see low 170s maybe high 170s if I'm stuck in traffic in 110 degree weather outside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They look proper to me. I've attached a link to the values I go by on my excel, the tab named torque app. I dont know if you were pulling but your trans temp seems a little high. I see 150s-160s in the winter when its 60degrees out no pulling. I see low 170s maybe high 170s if I'm stuck in traffic in 110 degree weather outside.

Thanks for the info.
I wasn't sure which transmision reading to use. There is one that displays fluid temp, and one for tranny temp. You can see that the fluid temp is substantially lower than the tranny temp.
I was not under load for these readings.

·
Registered
2003 F350 4 door, soon to be 4.5 door...maybe
73 Posts
How long was it running for? I only ask because I pulled 10k through the mountains with an 09 Econoline 6.0 and I never saw more than a 2 degree delta for eot and ect. Trans seems on point if you still have it routed through the rad.... then the reading you're gonna get is whichever is runnin hotter, the coolant or the rad.

·
Registered
2003 F350 4 door, soon to be 4.5 door...maybe
73 Posts
My mistake I saw you were running it for 40 min. Keep your eye on the ect and eot, I'm not saying bad things ahead but the difference between the two is 6 degrees apart..problems start at 10 degrees apart. Just be mindful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mistake I saw you were running it for 40 min. Keep your eye on the ect and eot, I'm not saying bad things ahead but the difference between the two is 6 degrees apart..problems start at 10 degrees apart. Just be mindful.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,081 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I wasn't sure which transmision reading to use. There is one that displays fluid temp, and one for tranny temp. You can see that the fluid temp is substantially lower than the tranny temp.
Looks to me like the coolant temp and the transmission temp are exactly the same - to the decimal point. I question whether or not the PID is the right one for transmission temp.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Driving mine on a road trip today, i'll see what mine says. Or which PID i selected... I didnt see the smaller one of the two, i'm a see which mine shows.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
How long was it running for? I only ask because I pulled 10k through the mountains with an 09 Econoline 6.0 and I never saw more than a 2 degree delta for eot and ect. Trans seems on point if you still have it routed through the rad.... then the reading you're gonna get is whichever is runnin hotter, the coolant or the rad.
There's nothing wrong with a 6° delta on the oil/coolant side.... Problems start at 15°, fully warmed up, running 60 mph on flat ground. I'd say in the 40 minute range, your coolant will still come up a few degrees.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Got here... Its low 60s high 50s temps so my oil doesnt heat up as mush as it should until i start going uphill. Looks like i'm looking at TransFI. Now the question is if we're looking at the right one! Pics taken about a few sec from each other.

20210113_161559.jpg 20210113_161559.jpg

Attachments

·
7,081 Posts
MAP and boost should be different only by the amount of your Barometric pressure (ie Boost equals MAP minus Baro).

Your numbers would put your barometric pressure around 11.3 psi. I that correct? That is around 7000 ft. elevation

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Got here... Its low 60s high 50s temps so my oil doesnt heat up as mush as it should until i start going uphill. Looks like i'm looking at TransFI. Now the question is if we're looking at the right one! Pics taken about a few sec from each other.
Was the engine not running very long? The oil temp should be higher than that -- The oil and coolant sensors are the same, swap them and see if the temps still run like that -- also for both of you guys, check the temps after the truck has fully cooled off(over night or more) -- all should read within a point or two of each other

·
Registered
142 Posts
Was the engine not running very long? The oil temp should be higher than that -- The oil and coolant sensors are the same, swap them and see if the temps still run like that -- also for both of you guys, check the temps after the truck has fully cooled off(over night or more) -- all should read within a point or two of each other
Just took a look, picture right before i got home i'm at 190.4 ECT and 176.5 EOT for oil about 5min after getting off the freeway. I've thought about covering up the part of the BPD during the winter, but haven't. I did get up to 188 going up mountains, i think 185 should be the minimum to get moisture out. During summer it runs at or about coolant temp.

·
Registered
142 Posts
MAP and boost should be different only by the amount of your Barometric pressure (ie Boost equals MAP minus Baro).

Your numbers would put your barometric pressure around 11.3 psi. I that correct? That is around 7000 ft. elevation
I live at about 2k, drove to 7k yesterday. I think the pictures were more like 3k.

Edit: researching, but initially.... no boost sensor but uses MAP/BARO readings to make it. First post I read on it.. we'll see..

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Just took a look, picture right before i got home i'm at 190.4 ECT and 176.5 EOT for oil about 5min after getting off the freeway. I've thought about covering up the part of the BPD during the winter, but haven't. I did get up to 188 going up mountains, i think 185 should be the minimum to get moisture out. During summer it runs at or about coolant temp.
I see, since you have a modified oil cooler, then your numbers dont count for the conversation
-- really need to keep the oil closer to 200* to drive off the moisture and contaminants
-- does BPD make a thermostat for your unit?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I see, since you have a modified oil cooler, then your numbers dont count for the conversation
-- really need to keep the oil closer to 200* to drive off the moisture and contaminants
-- does BPD make a thermostat for your unit?
Oh yea, i took the pic for the PID i was using to see the Trans temp. OP has two diff readings making me think about which one i was using and if it was the right one... rabbit hole. I haven't looked at a thermostat unit, i should probably should. Right now i'm on fuel pump / spare tire kick... hate to have to need either on a long trip!

·
7,081 Posts
I live at about 2k, drove to 7k yesterday. I think the pictures were more like 3k.

Edit: researching, but initially.... no boost sensor but uses MAP/BARO readings to make it. First post I read on it.. we'll see..
What is your Baro reading? If it is accurate, then maybe the MAP sensor is off a little .....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts