Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I work for an ambulance company and we run e-350 with the 6.0L diesel engines. I've had 2 trucks now with failed high pressure oil pumps. I am wondering what are some of the things that I can do to prevent this. The oil is changed every 5000 miles, regular maintenance. We do run synthetic oil.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Are they 03's? How many miles are you getting from them?

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Oh, those are 6.4's and there has been an issue with them. I'm gonna move this thread to the appropriate section

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
last time I checked, they only put 6.0L in the E series vans... Just checked both VIN with the ford VIN decoder and there 6.0

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have to tell you that you are not in an '09 with a 6.0... Verify the year, but to extend the life of your HPOP, you have to do the following:
-change oil every 3K miles, syn or not, the oil in a 7.3 and a 6.0 is far more used and abused than any other diesel, also, the 6.0 stock oil filter is much left to be desired...
-get a by-pass coolant filter, this is related to the oil/coolant heat exchanger that gets clogged up from your EGR flash-boiling the coolant and creating residue in the coolant, then getting clogged in the heat exchanger fins
-get a Bullet Proof Diesel oil cooler delete & relocation kit(big bucks)
-fully delete/remove the EGR system(6.0s have a problem-heat)
-there is an updated part from ford that replaced the plastic HPOP screen(aka-filter) with a steel one

obviously some of these mods should be combined with certain others... do some more research and I'm sure you'll find a solution

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the VIN, the engine code is the 8th digit, correct? I've got 3 trucks with the "P" engine code, which is the 6.0 engine?

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
You're right! I apologize

The 6.0 did go in the vans and ambulances. Moving the thread again :D

Not much that makes them fail. I think you're doing what should be done, and the same thing I do with my truck, except the syn oil. The newer style HPOPs are not known for failure like the 03's were

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh good, I'm not crazy. I'm just trying to get as many ideas as I can because this is a very costly fix and takes a truck out for a week.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Oh, those are 6.4's and there has been an issue with them. I'm gonna move this thread to the appropriate section
The 6.0L was put in the vans until 2010.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
The only thing I can think of, is maybe the HPOP screen is getting clogged somehow, starving the pump of oil :dunno:. Never heard of that though

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
out of curiosity what kind of oil do you run?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The only thing I can think of, is maybe the HPOP screen is getting clogged somehow, starving the pump of oil :dunno:. Never heard of that though
thats very un-likely, however you need to test what you are getting for fuel pressure(do fuel filters need to be changed?) up to the top of the motor, then run a live-scan while its running to see if you are having any issues on your high pressure side, good luck

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Shoot i just saw that you said synthetic.

Honestly around here i see a TON of HPOP failures at 140-150k. I'm putting a new one in mine at 133k as preventive maintenance.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
If you are replacing the hpop again, I would recommend the terminator or adrenalin modified pumps, from what I see they are cheaper than ford and better more consistent oil flow. I am not as familiar with the 6.0, but if they have the oil reservoir as the 7.3 does, check the inlet check valve when you have the pump off, also check the oil reservoir and make sure it is filling properly in addition check to see what pressure the pump is running at. idle should be min 600-750 (poor memory) and wot should see above 3000 p.s.i.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts