Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just bought some new tires for my F350. They are 235/85/16's. (Same size I took off) BUT the tires I took off were about an inch wider. First time on the highway it felt like my truck was on ice skates. The new ones are very narrow. So I called Walmart and they are going to buy them back, but I have to get some new ones ordered. How wide can I go on the rears? The ones I have read they are 9.5 inches, but they are more like 7.5.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scary
I know Duratracs have a bad case of new tire squirm on some sizes i wonder if thats what was going on ? I would get rid of them also Kudo's to Walmart

whats wrong with your last brand ?
The last brand were Grabbers. (on there when I bought the truck) They were new and only lasted about 30K miles wanted a more highway tire.

YES very much new tire squirm. And yep, very thankful Walmart will take them back.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Many dually guys switch to a 255/85/16, they are wider and about an inch taller also. I'm not sure if they would fit on a 2wd. A 265/75/16 would also work they are the same height as a 235/85/16 but wider.

Reactions: Onawave

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the space I have with the 235/85/16s. The ones I took off (same size different brand) there is only about an inch between the tires. Now there is about 3 inches. (looks closer in the photo)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many dually guys switch to a 255/85/16, they are wider and about an inch taller also. I'm not sure if they would fit on a 2wd. A 265/75/16 would also work they are the same height as a 235/85/16 but wider.
Thank you.. Looking up those sizes now.

·
Super Moderator
12,925 Posts
Even within the same numbered tire size, there's differences in manufacturer to manufacturer in casing size. I'd stick with the 235 tire size and try a different brand with a slightly more open tread pattern, and some more siping. Those Falkens have a pretty terrible tread for anything more than summer time usage IMO. With a full closed shoulder, no full cross-sipe between tread grooves, and them being a "heavy duty" tread compound the tread won't flex enough to give you any grip, hence your ice skate feeling.

Also, knowing how you use your truck, you may be able to get by with a 255 series, but two 265s on each corner in the rear are so close that once you load up the camper and head down, the sidewalls are going to be way too close and tires are going to go boom.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
I believe you can get by with 265s on a dually with no rubbing. I have a buddy that has 265/75/16 on his Chevy dually and has no rubbing issues and he tows a goosneck regularly. The spacing on all dually trucks is about the same.

·
Super Moderator
19,336 Posts
Paul, have you looked @ the Toyo Open Country H/T? I see you're in Oregon so check with Les Schwab. They carry Toyo tires. I was looking at the H/T & the A/T IIs. I ended up with the A/T II.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Not true sir.

EDIT for clarity: Not only does it differentiate between manufacturers since they use different offsets in their wheel sets, but it also matters if the wheels are all aluminum, steel/aluminium combo, or all steel.
You're probably right, I have never actually measured the offset but I know that dodge, Ford, and gm all have about the same spacing between the factory dually tires. Maybe a .5 - .75 inch difference between them all.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I took the truck back to Walmart to ask them how to get these tires off and order some new ones.. The manager asked why I wasn't happy. After telling him why, he asked to see the truck.. One look and he said they guys here over inflated the tires.. He showed me only the center 4 inches were touching the ground. (I never really looked) There was 80 PSI.. he dropped each one down to 70 PSI. He said drive it like and see if it's any better. If not, just order what I want and I get a full credit. So, I drove home and did some extra driving.. WOW..these tires are awesome now. No need to replace.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts