Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:icon_ford:how well would an IDI cclb or rclb tow against a rclb obs psd. all 3.55 or 3.73 gears i dont remember. these are the trucks im looking at right now, and i have a 24 valve stock cummins. there all 4x4, but how would the IDI tow about 12,000 pounds tagalong. no 5th wheel. compared to the PSD. finally gettin one :icon_ford:

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
It will tow fine depending on gearing. Just dont expect to win any races doing so

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea this IDI is turboed, and im gonna try and put a sidewinder on it if i get it. im leaning more towards the powerstroke

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
IDI's are solid as a rock, and as said they wont win a race.. my friend pulled a 20k lb grass cart on his pintle hitch on a 86 f250 service truck with a 7.3 IDI going down the road to his dairy, dont try that at home..lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
i pull about 7k lb enclosed 8.5x16 loaded trailer without a problem and a 4k lb jeep on a 2k lb trailer without a problem. I am pretty sure i would be unhappy with the performance with anything 10k+........

standard engine braking is good for anything up to 7k, and feels like it would be fine to 10k. All of my trailers have brakes on all axles and i have a 5 speed. My 89 only came with abs on the rear axle. If i do lock it is the front due to being a little light and no abs....and yes i use a weight distribution hitch.

·
Registered
105 Posts
um it sucks monkey balls.

we hauled like 10k with ours. cc lb 3.55 gears iirc and 5spd. it was fine on a flat road till a hill came.

but the tach shows rpms like 4.10s so idk.

the diff has a tag of 3.55

now ours aint turboed. the turboed i think does better.
Agreed. I had a 1992 RegCab4x4 non turbo 5spd way back. I towed a 20ft bass boat all the time w/it, weighed about 3200lbs total. It was my first diesel and last w/o a turbo. 2 friends w/similar boats towed w/a v8grand cherokee and ram1500 would just blow past me on hills. On any grade at all I would be in 3rd and getting passed by everyone. No power on hills, very poor mpgs, great reliability though.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Ive got a 91 4dr 2wd dually sitting in my yard that my father in law towed 12k worth of horses and tack all over the country with for years and it did the job. the sidwinder kit made a huge difference but like has been said..... they are what they are.

Jim

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the one im lookin at sunday has a sidwinder kit. id probably do the moose pump to it too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
fyi ... i took my 93 f450 dually PS 7.3 on a 400 mile round trip in one day thru the crazy mtn pass in BC Canada (i hate with a passion ( no other road to get there )... your either going up or down 6-8 % grades for long stretches towing a 16 ft tandem axles trail king trailer 14 gvw and got approx 15 mpg ...nopt bad considering the insane road i was one .... did i mention i hate that road ( eyes rolling) it handled it with ease ......... but like he said it wont win any races ...but slow and steady wins the race member haha........

hope that helps

·
Beach Bum
26,655 Posts
i pull about 7k lb enclosed 8.5x16 loaded trailer without a problem and a 4k lb jeep on a 2k lb trailer without a problem. I am pretty sure i would be unhappy with the performance with anything 10k+........

standard engine braking is good for anything up to 7k, and feels like it would be fine to 10k. All of my trailers have brakes on all axles and i have a 5 speed. My 89 only came with abs on the rear axle. If i do lock it is the front due to being a little light and no abs....and yes i use a weight distribution hitch.
i have hauled cars on a 16ft trailer and hauls that well. and in the city :nod:

Agreed. I had a 1992 RegCab4x4 non turbo 5spd way back. I towed a 20ft bass boat all the time w/it, weighed about 3200lbs total. It was my first diesel and last w/o a turbo. 2 friends w/similar boats towed w/a v8grand cherokee and ram1500 would just blow past me on hills. On any grade at all I would be in 3rd and getting passed by everyone. No power on hills, very poor mpgs, great reliability though.
:hehe: yep. i think we got down to 3rd on these hills we have. floored, rolling coal, and not speeding up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 97 dually with a 460 gas before the 94 7.3 idi. The 97 pulled harder i think but the mileage was about 5-6. With the 7.3 idi it gets down the road ok just don't get in a hurry. the mileage makes up for the difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts