Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine look the same way, I didnt know there was a auto setting on these i thought it was a simple locked and unlocked, fully to the right would be locked and fully to the left would be unlocked, This is just what i thought, I could be wrong

·
Registered
96 Posts
If I remember correctly the passenger side turned clockwise is locked and the driver side turned counterclockwise. I think they both lock turned towards the front of the truck. If I am wrong somebody will let me know. You could turn it start you truck drive for a few feet and turn the wheel hard to right or left and see if you truck hops

·
Registered
133 Posts
dose anyone know if there is such thing as a auto position on these hubs our is it just locked and unlocked??

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Its just locked and unlocked. Turn them one way, have someone pull the truck ahead slow. Watch the front driveshaft, if it spins they are locked, if not they are free.

Im pretty sure they "click" going into lock and dont click going into free. Thats how my dads are anyway. My OBS is the opposite on the click rule.

·
Registered
153 Posts
it is AUTO and LOCKED i have a 2000 that is how it is on mine.. and if you turn the hub counter clockwise on both sides that is auto(or unlocked)....
and another way to know if they are locked is if you hear i popping and you feel your steering wheel jerk a little at least mine does a little....

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Ok let me clear this up. Some trucks have Free and Lock they are manual hubs. Other trucks are equipped with auto locking and manual locking hubs.

Ok as for locking them in no matter which ones you have. You turn both sides clockwise to lock them in. Counter clockwise to unlock them.

Now for those that have auto locking hubs. When do I have to manually lock them in?
You manually lock your hubs in when you are putting the truck under load. For example towing heavy loads, or putting the truck under stress. This is to ensure that the hubs stay locked in. Most of the time you won't have to lock them in.

How ever everyone knows that the Ford autolocking design is poor. There for if your going to use 4wd I recommend you lock the hubs manually. The vaccuum system that locks the hubs in are known to fail. So the hubs could come unlock when you do not want them too.

Can I leave my hubs locked in? Yes you can leave your hubs locked in. I do every winter and I never had a problem with it. You will loose about .5-1mpg. You will expernice no popping from the front end. Unless you are in 4wd on dry pavement.

You should lock in your hubs once a month to keep them from freezing up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
how can you tell which ones you have, there are no markings on my hubs

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
the ford book showed two types of hubs. free and lock and auto and lock i think i have the auto and lock due to what the requirements are.

so the drive shaft doesnt move when locked? hmm
No no. The driveshaft DOES move when locked.

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
If I remember correctly the passenger side turned clockwise is locked and the driver side turned counterclockwise. I think they both lock turned towards the front of the truck. If I am wrong somebody will let me know. You could turn it start you truck drive for a few feet and turn the wheel hard to right or left and see if you truck hops
the truck will ONLY hop if the transfer case is engaged in 4 wheel drive.

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
No no. The driveshaft DOES move when locked.
Yes it does move like Nick said. If you think its locked, reach in and twist the drive shaft, if its spins its unlocked, if not its locked.

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I never thought there would be a thread about how to lock hubs. There is a lot of confusion in here also it seems.

Put in 4x4 and go mudding...get stuck = hubs were free.......dont get stuck = they were locked.

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never thought there would be a thread about how to lock hubs. There is a lot of confusion in here also it seems.

Put in 4x4 and go mudding...get stuck = hubs were free.......dont get stuck = they were locked.
im from :tex:

so i dont know what this "snow" is :hehe:

plus this is our first 4x4

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts

:hehe::hehe::hehe::thumb:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
how can you tell which ones you have, there are no markings on my hubs
Ok on a truck equipped with auto locking hubs you will have three lines going to the hub. 1 is obviously the brake line, the other abs sensor. The third is a rubber hose that is the vaccuum line to operate the hubs.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts