Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to throw some new merconsp in my tranny and this was the only "How to:" I could find. For those of you in the know, is this all necessary? Please don't chime in with "don't change the oil your clutches will slip" or things like that. Just wanting to know if I should follow this how to that I found and if there are any other tips or clues you guys can offer me. I would appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just changed the external trans filter yesterday, I wanted to replace the mercon sp but also wasn't sure the best way to do that (anyone?), should I pay to have it flushed or save some $$ and pull the plug in the bottom of the pan. either way look at my trans filter, I think it was time.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
From what I've heard elsewhere, you cant get all the fluid out by just pulling the plug on the tranny because there is some kind of thermostat in there blocking it so it has to be hot flushed with the machine at the dealer. There also isnt a plug on the TC. I've seen where somebody drained and filled then drove around and then drained and filled again so as to change as much out as they could. Maybe a tech could come and confirm this?

Unless I'm wrong, I would just have it flushed at the dealer. But then again I did get screwed by the previous owner of mine cuz he never serviced it and the tranny went out at 45k. Ford refused to help because there wasnt any record of it ever being serviced. So I had to foot the bill on a truck I only owned for 7k miles

.....sorry if I rambled on too long....there I go again:doh:

·
Registered
659 Posts
just put you a new filter and pull the plug or the pan and re fill it with new that is all you have to do you do not need 100% change this will get most of the bad out and the filter will take over anything else.if you stay up on the changes like this it will never get bad enough to have to even worry.mine looks like i just poured it in.just dont wait for it to get dirty or burnt about every 20000 miles is the best time.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
from trannie shops around home they say flushing them is a bad idea because it will push foreign material in the balls and stuff makeing the trannie malfunction personally i usually just pull the plug and drain out what will come out i dont know that i have an external filter but if i do i dont know about it but i will look and if i do i would change that

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just as a point of interest, had my trani flushed, next day it wouldn't start had to jump it ie to the solenoid. Shifts lousy. Took it back to the dealer thinks its the TCU. Any comments on this happening??

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
from trannie shops around home they say flushing them is a bad idea because it will push foreign material in the balls and stuff makeing the trannie malfunction personally i usually just pull the plug and drain out what will come out i dont know that i have an external filter but if i do i dont know about it but i will look and if i do i would change that
Dude, I specifically asked not to post this kind of stuff in the thread. lol This is why: I PMed back and forth with a former Ford transmission engineer over on tds, the garage and fte and he recommends replacing the fluid and the filter. He gave me reasons why but I don't remember what the reasons why were because I knew I should just listen to what the guy says to do. So what random tranny shops have to say doesn't matter to me. thanks though.
Just as a point of interest, had my trani flushed, next day it wouldn't start had to jump it ie to the solenoid. Shifts lousy. Took it back to the dealer thinks its the TCU. Any comments on this happening??
start a new thread in this forum please. and welcome to the org man. :welcome1:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-trannie-problems/

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just changed the external trans filter yesterday, I wanted to replace the mercon sp but also wasn't sure the best way to do that (anyone?), should I pay to have it flushed or save some $$ and pull the plug in the bottom of the pan. either way look at my trans filter, I think it was time.
Did you use an impact gun or were you able to do it with a breaker bar???

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
I only use a breaker bar when I do mine. You may need to tap around the edges in order to break it free. As far as changing all of your fluid (including TC and pressure lines), you would need a shop to do that or there are DIY instructions floating around. I'll see if I can't dig you up a link.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
well i didnt mean to be a debbie downer about the whole thing and i seen where you said dont do what i did but here is what i know flushing the trannie has to be done with a flushing machine t oensure that all the fluid gets out of the tc and such and i bet you tech said something along those lines?? am i right??? anyway its good you are doing maintenence that shows alot more than some people i know anyway sorry about the previous post and that what i know

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i didnt mean to be a debbie downer about the whole thing and i seen where you said dont do what i did but here is what i know flushing the trannie has to be done with a flushing machine t oensure that all the fluid gets out of the tc and such and i bet you tech said something along those lines?? am i right??? anyway its good you are doing maintenence that shows alot more than some people i know anyway sorry about the previous post and that what i know
It's all good man everyone has their own opinion but when I get info directly from the horses mouth I wouldn't question it.

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wrote that article...remember it is a two person job. You need to be keeping an eye on the fluid being pumped out while simultaneously adding new fluid. The other person should be on the ignition. As soon as it starts to sputter or you see air in the lines...have your buddy cut the truck off. Get the tranny as hot as you can before you start in order to overcome the internal thermostat. Yes it does work.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great. Thanks a lot for chiming in Bear Hunter. I appreciate it. Great write up. I'm going down to see Marc next friday and he is going to do that procedure along with throw on all new rotors and pads.

·
Registered
64 Posts
No impact or breaker bar, just a regular old 1/2 drive rat. I didn't get an O-ring with my new filter so I had to use the old one and it leaks a little..man I love doing jobs 2 times :doh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts