Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any write ups? I've been searching for a few hours with no luck.

I have a 1996 F250, after leaving church I noticed my AC didn't work. Well, I figured it was about time since I noticed an oil leak on one of the lines the other day. Then a little later I switched from front to rear tank and it didn't swap. Found out they are both on the same fuse (fuse 6). Replaced, blew, unplugged AC compressor, blew, so I filled up the front tank and went on home. After I got home I ohm'd out the circuit from the fuse panel. 4 ohms to ground, unplugged fuel tank selector valve, over 6000k ohms to ground, open circuit I would assume.

Anybody got the specific testing resistances for this valve? Hate to spend $200 just guessing,

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or, does anyone have the electrical drawing and know what all is on fuse 6? Description on the cover says "AC, diesel fuel sel valve, and remote keyless security"

Keyless entry still works by the way. Just no AC or selector valve operation

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Maybe this will help (from the service manual):

Tank Selector Valve (Diesel Only) Component Testing Procedure

On the Selector Valve Connector, the terminals are:
Pin 1: Not used
Pin 2: 789 (BR/W)
Pin 3: 786 (R)
Pin 4: 673 (DB/Y)
Pin 5: 29 (Y/W)
Pin 6: 675 (Y/LB)

To Test the Rear Tank Circuit:
Briefly Apply 12V Power to Terminals 789 (BR/W) (+) and 786 (R) (-)
Connect Self-Powered Test Lamp or Ohmmeter to Terminals 29 (Y/W) and 675 (Y/LB): A good Switch will indicate Closed Circuit
Connect Self-Powered Test Lamp or Ohmmeter to Terminals 29 (Y/W) and 673 (DB/Y): A good Switch will indicate Open Circuit

To Test the Front Tank Circuit:
Briefly Apply 12V Power to Terminals 786 (R) (+) and 789 (BR/W) (-)
Connect Self-Powered Test Lamp or Ohmmeter to Terminals 29 (Y/W) and 675 (Y/LB): A good Switch will indicate Open Circuit
Connect Self-Powered Test Lamp or Ohmmeter to Terminals 29 (Y/W) and 673 (DB/Y): A good Switch will indicate Closed Circuit

Check that the source and return valve transfer between front and rear positions. NOTE: A brief “zip” sound can be heard when the valve transfers.
Cheers!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help.

I finally just unplugged the valve, replaced the fuse, and everything else works fine. Guess I'll pick up one this week.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1427801306.780536.jpg if anyone else ever has this problem, this is another print that I found.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts