Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I will attempt to explain this as simply as possible as I realize, at times, I can be confusing :doh: but luckily, not to myself :rofl:

I will list below the instructions for saving your stock file with the X3/Livewire and also with the XCal2. Please keep in mind that you will save the file to your computer but you would not be able to open the file at all because you do not have the software to do so.

The reasoning behind saving it is that should you ever have an issue where you would lose your stock file, get locked out, etc....., you would have the file readily available to send to SCT so they can convert it and you can reload it.

FOR THE X3/LIVEWIRE:
Open Livewire Updater
Connect X3
Click on Get Stock File
Save the File to a Location where you will be able to find it later.

FOR THE XCAL2
You will need to request an XC2dump file from SCT
Unzip & Save the files to your Desktop
Connect XCal2
Open the XC2dump
Click on Choose Dump File
Save the File to a Location where you will be able to find it later.

Vivian

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sweet thank you!!!:thumb:

·
Banned
0 Posts
Here is the tricky part Vivian. Since you recommend always returning to stock before plugging you downloader into the computer, will this still work if the truck was returned to stock before the dump takes place?

·
Banned
1,303 Posts
is this part of the "liveupdate" software from sct ??? i know i had an "emergency dump" from matt before but i'm not sure if it was using the liveupdate i got from him or a different file..

·
Banned
1,303 Posts
in my "emergency dump" folder i have an empty folder named "firmware reload" and i also have 2 files :
one is a standard .LL3 file titled "FSM7 stock emerg.dump.ll3
the other is a LU2 file titled "xcal2f-v1.15.lu2" , what would that file be for ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Where do you get the software from? I looked on SCTflash.com but wasn't sure what I needed to download. Any help?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've seen that site before. I am sure you need to download the drivers but what is the other piece of software do you need to download to be able to transfer the file?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

I'm sorry. I had not realized there were replies :crazy:

If you have the Xcal2, you need to contact SCT and request a dump file. Their telephone number is 407-774-2447, dial 5 for tech support. I am going to find out if there is a general email address for tech support and, if so, will post it here.

If you have the X3, the instructions are in the first post. You can do this in the Livewire Updater software that you use to download tunes and update your firmware.

For this application, you will need to leave the stock file in the SCT. Please make sure to turn off all screen savers, on your computer and make sure your usb cable fits tightly and does not move or slip. These are just precautions.

Thanks,
Vivain

·
Registered
160 Posts
were does the stock file come from? is it in the x3 from your truck than you just save it or do you have to do somthin to get it- sorry just got my tunes and i am very unsavey when it comes to computer stuff

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
were does the stock file come from? is it in the x3 from your truck than you just save it or do you have to do somthin to get it- sorry just got my tunes and i am very unsavey when it comes to computer stuff

The X3 removes it from your truck when it downloads the new one. Just connect your X3 to your laptop and copy it to your hard drive...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Terry :thumb:

rageingbull, feel free to call us and we'll help you with it.

Thanks,
Vivian

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just to make sure I did it right. OK I down loaded stock using "get stock file" I then saved it in "My Albums" and appears as 2 folders "flash file" and "stock file" is this correct?. If I want to see them I push transfer file and then they show up as 2 files stored in my albums. BUT they do not appear on the page with all of my custom tunes, is this correct?
I just want to be sure the stock file is saved.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stock file saved on PC

So if you save the stock file to the PC can you still return your truck to stock the same as if you had just left it on the X3??

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's my understanding that...The truck should be always be returned to stock when making file transfers from X3 to PC, this way if X3, PC or USB cable accidently craps out the stock file will not be lost.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yea..my question is after you save the stock file to your PC , then you program your truck, what is the next step to return your truck to stock after it has been programmed??

·
Registered
164 Posts
Even though you "tune" the truck, "return to stock" is always an option on the X3. It appears on the same screen as "load tune".

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
My truck was re flashed by the dealer so I tried grabbing my original stock file from the computer but a window pops up and states that I can not transfer this file.

How do I transfer the file?

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
X3/SF3 Read Stock Tune

To anyone that can help:

I'm not sure that i have saving the stock tune correctly and would really aprreciate some clear assistance. I have the X3 3015 or SF3 tuner, the one that comes with the pre-loaded tunes. I have obtained the vehicle strategy from the vehicle. I would like to know how I can be sure that the stock tune for my vehicle is saved somewhere, anywhere.
Rescuediver wrote "The X3 removes it from your truck when it downloads the new one. Just connect your X3 to your laptop and copy it to your hard drive... "

If I understand Rescuediver correctly the X3 removes the stock tune from my truck when I upload the new tune I select to install. If I further understand correctly, the X3 keeps the copy of my stock tune stored on the device. How can I be sure that this actually occurs?! What if I upload the new tune but somehow the X3 did not properly save the stock tune correctly or at all? I have no way of returning my truck to stock? The manual provides instructions to save to my PC but what if it isn't even there?! I haven't attempted to upload the new tune because of this concern. I know I sound paranoid but a lot at stake.

·
Registered
578 Posts
can you save a custom tune to desk top also?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts