Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 350 the other day & went to change the fuel filters. I did the primary one, but the secondary one has the plastic hex head snapped off. The only thing i can think to do is drill 2 screws into it, then place a bar between them to get leverage to twist off. But i'm worried i might damagae internal componets, or that i won't get all the debris out after i'm done. Also, would it make it easier to relieve the pressure via the fuel conditioning module first? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :crazy:

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
I just bought a 350 the other day & went to change the fuel filters. I did the primary one, but the secondary one has the plastic hex head snapped off. The only thing i can think to do is drill 2 screws into it, then place a bar between them to get leverage to twist off. But i'm worried i might damagae internal componets, or that i won't get all the debris out after i'm done. Also, would it make it easier to relieve the pressure via the fuel conditioning module first? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :crazy:
your talking about the one on the frame rail right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There isn't enough room around the perimeter to get a strap wrench around it, and i wish it was like the 7.3 filter- it would have never snapped in the first place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
really? you're saying the oil filter strap wrench will take it off, even though the raised hex head piece is broken? this is the 6.0 fuel filter on the engine...

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
really? you're saying the oil filter strap wrench will take it off, even though the raised hex head piece is broken? this is the 6.0 fuel filter on the engine...
I bet it looks something like this :doh:

It is a PITA to get a that off. When mine broke I couldnt get it off with a filter wrench.
I took a screw driver and a hammer and worked around the outside of the lid, it eventually came off, but it tore the lid all to hell.

When you get it off I would suggest going with billet cap

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
yeah that sucks. just make sure you have another cap to replace it with before you go beating the broken one off

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha. yeah it looks exactly like that. you're my hero, stroken 04. thank you. did u releive the fuel pressure first, or did you just start whacking at it? also, where can i buy a billet cap- the dealer wants $66 for the exact same piece of sh*& plastic one!

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Nope, I just started whacking on it. It took about 10 or 15 minutes and it finally got loose enough to come off.
Like evan said, make sure you have another one to replace it with before you tear the old one up.

Also, make sure you get all the plastic shavings out of the fuel bowl

I cant remember where I seen the billet caps :doh:

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
This thread is the very reason why I ALWAYS remove the secondary filter cap using the existing 15/16" hex, NOT the 1/2" square drive hole.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again, Wes- I really appreciate the info. That makes a lot more sense than drilling into it. I saw a billet cap earlier at diesel manor?? i wanna say, but it has a hole in the top for fuel pressure monitoring, which i dont need (just yet, anyway = ).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This thread is the very reason why I ALWAYS remove the secondary filter cap using the existing 15/16" hex, NOT the 1/2" square drive hole.
Absolutely, I thought that woulda been a no-brainer, but i guess the prior owner didn't think so. & thank you for recommending the proper tool to hopefully tighten my new one with tomorrow. :woot:

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Thanks again, Wes- I really appreciate the info. That makes a lot more sense than drilling into it. I saw a billet cap earlier at diesel manor?? i wanna say, but it has a hole in the top for fuel pressure monitoring, which i dont need (just yet, anyway = ).
No problem

Absolutely, I thought that woulda been a no-brainer, but i guess the prior owner didn't think so. & thank you for recommending the proper tool to hopefully tighten my new one with tomorrow. :woot:
yep, using the 15/16 is the best way. When I broke mine it was the first time I used the 1/2" hole :doh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No problem

yep, using the 15/16 is the best way. When I broke mine it was the first time I used the 1/2" hole :doh:
haha. i don't suppose you were the prior owner were you? just kidding, thanks again. If it makes you feel any better, when i went to change the oil on it the other day, i didn't undo the vent cap on my oil pan, so i wound up with about 6 quarts of super black oil on a nice concrete driveway!!! I was about to kill myself for being so stupid! :lol2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts