Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps my goof can save someone else some trouble.

At 94k miles my 06 F350 was making a rumbling sound out of the right rear. Related to the speed of the truck, so it's on a rotating part. And, it was slowly getting worse. Hitting the brakes didn't seem to affect the sound, so it's not brake related, even though I did go ahead and replace all pads.

Okay, it has to be a wheel bearing going out, better replace it before it goes completely and takes out something really expensive. Ordered up a wheel bearing kit from Quad4x4.com, around $325 with good Timken bearings (had bad luck with the cheap chinese bearings) plus all seals, the ratchet nut tool, plus two bearing race installation tools.

So I strip it down this weekend. It's actually very easy to do. Remove the 8 bolts from the spindle, the axle shaft slides right out. Pull the caliper, a few tugs on the disc, and it slides right out. But, what's this? Bearings are in great condition, nothing wrong with them.

It was corrosion on the emergency brake drum. I never use it, and cross through a creek on my farm (about 1 foot of water) every so often. The heavy iron disc/drum had corrosion bubbling up around the inside of the drum, the scraping noise was amplified by the dust plate behind the disc. Fifteen minutes with a paint scraper and sandpaper got the corrosion off, and it now spins silently. Put it all back together, rumbling sound was gone. Just to be sure, I put the emergency brake halfway on, until I could feel it starting to drag, and drove it for about a mile. That'll clean off the left side.

Funny, I would have thought it would have worn through the corrosion, instead of the sound getting progressively louder. But, there you have it.

Note to myself: next time, locate the bad parts before you order new ones, not after. It's a lot cheaper. Oh well, at least I replaced the seals and changed the diff oil while I had it apart.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Perhaps my goof can save someone else some trouble.

At 94k miles my 06 F350 was making a rumbling sound out of the right rear. Related to the speed of the truck, so it's on a rotating part. And, it was slowly getting worse. Hitting the brakes didn't seem to affect the sound, so it's not brake related, even though I did go ahead and replace all pads.

Okay, it has to be a wheel bearing going out, better replace it before it goes completely and takes out something really expensive. Ordered up a wheel bearing kit from Quad4x4.com, around $325 with good Timken bearings (had bad luck with the cheap chinese bearings) plus all seals, the ratchet nut tool, plus two bearing race installation tools.

So I strip it down this weekend. It's actually very easy to do. Remove the 8 bolts from the spindle, the axle shaft slides right out. Pull the caliper, a few tugs on the disc, and it slides right out. But, what's this? Bearings are in great condition, nothing wrong with them.

It was corrosion on the emergency brake drum. I never use it, and cross through a creek on my farm (about 1 foot of water) every so often. The heavy iron disc/drum had corrosion bubbling up around the inside of the drum, the scraping noise was amplified by the dust plate behind the disc. Fifteen minutes with a paint scraper and sandpaper got the corrosion off, and it now spins silently. Put it all back together, rumbling sound was gone. Just to be sure, I put the emergency brake halfway on, until I could feel it starting to drag, and drove it for about a mile. That'll clean off the left side.

Funny, I would have thought it would have worn through the corrosion, instead of the sound getting progressively louder. But, there you have it.

Note to myself: next time, locate the bad parts before you order new ones, not after. It's a lot cheaper. Oh well, at least I replaced the seals and changed the diff oil while I had it apart.
:hehe::hehe::hehe: Sorry but sounds like something I would do!:doh:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts