Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I painted my bumpers matte black last weekend. Sanded everything down beforwhat's. Both bumpers turned out great. Then I drove...lol

Front bumper's matte paint is all chipped up from sand and rock impacts. How do I protect it?? I know vehicles have a clear coat to help protect them. But that makes it glossy.

I'm sure some people will suggest using bedliner, but if I can avoid doing that, I'd prefer not to use it. Any ideas? Let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it just that simple? Will that make it not chip to chit? lol

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Is it just that simple? Will that make it not chip to chit? lol

Powdercoating is much stronger than paint!!! It would be the best way to give it a durable finish :thumb:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. I even know a good place for powder coating in town lol

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had mine powdercoated about 2yrs ago. No chips, as of yet. Powdercoating is much more durable than paint and costs about the same or less than to have them painted. you wont be sorry.

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
3m clear bra

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
192 Posts
Powdercoating would be the best option. A cheaper solution would be to wrap it with matte black vinyl - that is, if you DIY.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the DIY thing already. Succeeded on the rear bumper because there aren't any sand/rock impacts there. Failed miserably on the front bumper. The DIY thing might not work in this case lol. I can't make anything strong enough that looks respectable.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What about Plasti-Coat? That ends up with a matte finish. I used it on the side mirrors for my Jeep and it came out great. I'm not really sure how durable it is, but I imagine pretty tough.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about Plasti-Coat? That ends up with a matte finish. I used it on the side mirrors for my Jeep and it came out great. I'm not really sure how durable it is, but I imagine pretty tough.
I've never seen plasti coat in canada. I assume it'll be just as strong as the matte aerosol spray I used though lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Plasti-Dip! It's the "Thing" cause if you don't like it, you can peel it off without hurting your truck

·
Registered
221 Posts
I heard home depot carries it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts