Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, so I've been looking all over the internet and really can't get the answer that I want... Maybe the question's wrong? Here goes anyways.

I have a 2001 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 7.3. I have remote entry (truck didn't come with keys or a keypad - and installing one isn't an option) after a buddy of mine threw me an old set of KeyFOBs. I want to set up a way for me to leave the truck running, while being able to lock and unlock the truck with the keyFOB so I can "pit stop".

I understand that there are security implication - someone could break in and steal my truck... yes, yes, yes. However, at least locking my truck seems safer than walking into a store and constantly eyeing my truck through glass.

I heard there's a way to ground the ignition lock for the doors?! Does anyone know if this is a true. I don't want to spend more than $50 to get this setup... I'd prefer to spend a little extra wiring and a screw, rather than $50 and 2 hours of setup. Anyone know of any workarounds?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
What I did is made a spare key and left it in the truck. When I get out with it running I grab the spare key that's in the truck and leave my keys in the ignition. I don't know for sure about fords but I know the newer dodges the key fob won't work if the truck is running.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
It won't work in my Uncle's truck either. If the truck is running, the FOB won't work. He leaves his key in the ignition all the time and locks and unlocks with the FOB, but he can only do that when he shuts the truck off.

I do what dentex does, and have a spare key sitting in the cubby hole. I grab the spare key when I stop at a gas station and lock it.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
If you want an automatic remote starter it will do the trick and remove the chance of theft.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford F250 4X4 CCSB 7.3L, Banks Stinger, ICON 4" lift
16 Posts
Might be more than you want to spend, but in law enforcement vehicles, they use an ignition bypass. Push and hold a button on the dash while removing your keys, and your vehicle remains running without keys in the ignition. When you re-enter the vehicle, insert the keys to the on position and the engine remains running. If you push on the brake pedal (to shift into gear) without the keys in the ignition, the vehicle dies and cannot be re-started without the keys. Just a thought...

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Leave keys in it.

Lock door manually. Not the power lock button. The actual door lock button by the b pillar.

It will lock that way and you can unlock it using your remote from outside the truck

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Leave keys in it.

Lock door manually. Not the power lock button. The actual door lock button by the b pillar.

It will lock that way and you can unlock it using your remote from outside the truck
I do this everyday. I hit the lock button on the arm rest and all the doors lock then the drivers door unlocks, so I push it back down as I get out.

Best part, its FREE.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Leave keys in it.

Definitely does not do that. Thankfully, I tried with my windows open, being a skeptic and all.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might be more than you want to spend, but in law enforcement vehicles, they use an ignition bypass. Push and hold a button on the dash while removing your keys, and your vehicle remains running without keys in the ignition. When you re-enter the vehicle, insert the keys to the on position and the engine remains running. If you push on the brake pedal (to shift into gear) without the keys in the ignition, the vehicle dies and cannot be re-started without the keys. Just a thought...
This is EXACTLY what I want. Do you know of any that work on an '01 F-350 7.3? I'd like to see if it would be something worth saving up for... Then again, that remote start thing may just be worth the same value.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Definitely does not do that. Thankfully, I tried with my windows open, being a skeptic and all.
You have the factory keyless entry right?

If so it does do that

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just make a spare key and save yourself from a lockout which often occures. A friend just put an I fob key pad on the door which seems to work the best on his 2000 f350. You can pick them up online for around $40 and I've seen it work for him to warm it up

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

If so it does do that
Dave I appreciate the help, man, but I'm telling you. With the factory keyFOB, I can not do that with the truck running. I've tried it every which way. I could post a video if you'd like.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just make a spare key and save yourself from a lockout which often occures. A friend just put an I fob key pad on the door which seems to work the best on his 2000 f350. You can pick them up online for around $40 and I've seen it work for him to warm it up
Can you get a link for this? I thought you had to cut out the keypads to fit them in?

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Dave I appreciate the help, man, but I'm telling you. With the factory keyFOB, I can not do that with the truck running. I've tried it every which way. I could post a video if you'd like.
Thats weird because my 01 and 06 both did. I think my Father in Laws 12 does too

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Viper remote start/alarm guys.
I pull up to coffee shop, press and hold the unlock button on my fob for a sec, remove key and exit truck, press lock on fob and alarm is set while truck is still running. Grab coffee, press unock, insert key in ign. And go about my commute.

The thing will only idle for up to 20 minutes though and then it turns itself off.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts

If so it does do that
Depends on the year and model..

My 1998 Crown Vic works when running
1999 Expedition does not work when running
2000 F-250 does not work when running
2006 Escape works when running.

Haven't tried it on the 2004 F-350.

:dunno:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts