Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have to replace my HFCM cover tomorrow due to a corroded and stripped drain plug, and the whole thing seems relatively easy except that I'm afraid of all the fuel draining out of my fuel tank when I disconnect the fuel lines. Will much come out? can I plug it with some duck tape? I'm just a little confused on what to do. By the way its an 07 6.0.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Just don't change it when you have a full tank of fuel!!!

I always wait until I am fairly low on fuel before changing fuel filters and then only about 1 or 2 cups worth drains out. I have tried it before with a mostly full tank and it seemed like the fuel would never stop draining :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have the part, I just meant plugging the fuel lines after I disconnect them so tons of fuel doesn't drain everywhere. Also, once It's all done will the fuel pump automatically re-prime all the lines so my engine isn't sucking air for the first five minutes?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I already have the part, I just meant plugging the fuel lines after I disconnect them so tons of fuel doesn't drain everywhere. Also, once It's all done will the fuel pump automatically re-prime all the lines so my engine isn't sucking air for the first five minutes?

You just have to follow the same procedure as if you changed fuel filters, before you start the engine cycle the key on so that you can hear the fuel pump running, then shut off the key and repeat this 4-5 times. That will prime your lines, then you can start the engine :)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
if you're worried about the fuel pump being dry, give it a spoonful or two of 2 stroke oil before you install it. its not going to dilute the fuel much but it will give it great lube until it purges the air out of the pump

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did it yesterday, overall real easy. Only trouble I ran into was a plastic float deal popped out and I couldn't get it back into place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts