Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,480 Posts
As long as the master cylinder is not bottoming out, then expanding lines is not a problem

·
Registered
899 Posts
No, they don't reduce effectiveness. Under normal braking they take more travel (volume) but it's not like a balloon and keeps expanding. They stop expanding once the braid is in full tension.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
I love this thread. Lots of good info. I didn’t know that tire size affects the brakes that much. Well I just installed PMF lines All 5 steel lines. That didn’t really help much except to make the pedal feel stiffer. Didn’t fix my pedal travel.

I replaced all four calipers with oreilys calipers. I replaced both sets of pads with OEM and the front rotors are 1Aauto with drilled slotted.

I think I’m going to swap all pads with either EBC or Z36. And then the front rotors with OEM. Aside from that it seems like I’ve done everything aside from swapping the steering pump as that’s orig. everything else has been replaced.

That 6 piston Wilwood kit looks so nice but it’s $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,480 Posts
"Didn’t fix my pedal travel. "
Do you have excess slack in the master cylinder push rod or pedal rod connection?
these are two places that excess pedal travel can be introduced
and, even a small amount of air will also increase travel

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just read through this entire thread and Too Many Toys has a wealth of information with a lot of technical data to back it up. So much that it made my head spin.
No disrespect intended.

I would like to share another possibility that I had personal experience with.
This was on my wife’s 2003 F150 And no matter what I replaced or had done to the braking system I still had a soft spongy pedal almost too the floor.
I tried for two years to figure this out until I finally came across a thread on Ford truck enthusiast forum that referred to the ABS HCU (hydraulic control unit).
After following the procedure to test the HCU I determined it was malfunctioning. After replacing it and a full flush of the system all breaking returned to normal.
This might be something for you to explore further before throwing more $$$ at it.

Reactions: Got Dirt?

·
Premium Member
3,480 Posts
I would think one would notice the "sinking pedal" effect if a check valve was leaking
So, pushing the pedal would at first meet resistance, then continue to drop a little more with no added pressure

Need to pay particular attention to the pedal and see if this is the problem

Reactions: Boudah

·
Premium Member
3,480 Posts
My '06 does not have those inspection ports, unless they are on the bottom of the valve
couldn't get my hand in there to feel for them, and I didn't have a mirror handy
the brake lines stick upward with the electrical connection towards the engine

·
Registered
899 Posts
No, it's the early trucks that do. I believe it's limited to the ABS HCUs located below the battery, but not 100% certain if it carried to a few top setters. It was a good check but a potential for water entry if the caps fail.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My '06 does not have those inspection ports, unless they are on the bottom of the valve
couldn't get my hand in there to feel for them, and I didn't have a mirror handy
the brake lines stick upward with the electrical connection towards the engine
I’m not sure if you’re truck has them, but,
I did have a hard time locating my ports and they had caps on them. IIRC had to find some videos to be sure where those ports were located before I attacked the stubborn covers

21 - 31 of 31 Posts