Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

how to convince my father into a mini maxx and delete pipe

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  farmboy1 
#1 ·
my dad bought a 2008 6.4 in march. it had about 94k on it then and he got a pretty killer deal on it in my opinion. i have been trying to talk him into tuning and deleting ever since. i told him his truck wont run near as long nor be as reliable in the long run if he doesn't. i told him the price to delete the egr and he about ****. but im not worried about that right now as im mainly trying to get him into a mini and exhaust. he doesnt understand these trucks and thinks if he did exhaust he had to do the egr delete. i told him he could turn the egr off with the tuner. what other advice should i give him to convince him?

thanks for any advice
Austin

#2 ·
Maybe let him read the hundreds of post on this forum for about a week?

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#4 ·
First, what is the emissions enforcement culture in your area? How often are emissions required, any roadside test areas?

Second, (mind you my '07 6.0L remains emissions hardware compliant) its the fuel in oil dilution that would be the only push for me to delete the hardware out of a newer truck. If he does his own changes, ask him how much gets drained with every change vs how much is put in. Unless he's changing it every 3K, it will at least be a pause for thought. The motor's longevity is still up in the air, and that DPF system is a big factor in that.

#5 ·
Just curious Austin, how old are you and how old is your dad? Not that it really matters, but I know in terms of vehicles if your dad is like mine he would rather keep his truck stock no matter the benefit. Also what makes him freak out about the EGR delete price? I think that was pennies compared to the Mini and delete. I'm currently running a Spartan (not to mention a load of other stuff, but that's beside the point). The EGR should run about $150+/- and is not difficult to install yourself.

#7 ·
i'm 19. my father is almost 50. He is a farmer, and is used to his old daily driver 7.3 that is still on the farm as his work truck. I told him there is a big difference between his 7.3 and the 6.4. I have thought about letting him get on here and read about these trucks, but everything on the farm is older, and all mechanical. all tractors are from 68-78 and the newest combine is an 88. so He is not used to all the emissions on this new truck and what it all does and how it affects the motor. I priced an egr delete through a local shop and i know it was several thousand dollars. i did not realize it was possible to do yourself in your own shop. What all tools and knowledge are needed to do this in your own shop? like i said i thought the cab had to be lifted. this will be better for me to explain to him if he can do the egr delete in the shop himself

#9 ·
Honestly if he has warranty left don't change anything for a little while. No warranty, change it an don't look back (provided you are in a state with no emissions checks). I would suggest staying on low power tho. Going from a stock 7.3 to a high HP tuned 6.4 is like going from a Cessna to an F16.

As far as EGR delete the FloPro is easy and takes about 6-10 hrs depending on how mechanically inclined you are and if you can follow printed directions. Basic hand tools, a lot of patience, and an extra set of hands or 2 is all that is required.

Sent from a phone smarter than me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.