Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i think ive figured i have a frankenstein front end. I have a 1997 truck with what looks like a 1992-1994 axle. My knuckles have a slide pin calipers.

my question is can i just get 1997 knuckles bolt them to my axle and get the new bolt on calipers and be on my way?

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Yes you can, I just went and did a whole axle swap twice for that reason tho

Found another axle easier than finding knuckles only

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is there anything else i need to replace when changing these old slide pin knuckles and calipers to the bolt on caliper and knuckle?

will the rotor be the same? who has done this?

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Found on craigslist, both, but youwill needknuckle, cakiper, and the rotors, theyare smaller. On the older axles

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey guys...ive searched everywhere google will take me and i cant find 1997 knuckles...found a couple axels on craigslist that are already sold

can someone point me in another direction to find some knuckles???

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Anything from 95-97 f350 only, try ebay? Would a dodge d60 knuckle work?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I have heard of Dodge guys running older Ford knuckles to eliminate the unit bearings. You would have to run Dodge spindles and hubs as the bolt pattern is different and I think brakes too.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My stupid slide pins don't quite stay put for some reason. Let me know how the conversion goes, I may be interested in doing it myself.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Dodge has same bolt pattern except. 2011 max tow package

·
Registered
345 Posts
On the spindles?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so your saying if i found a a dodge knuckle, caliper and rotor setup everything else would bolt up correctly??

but to answer the first question, yes ive even tried ebay. i actually found a pair of older 1992-1994 knuckles but they have slide pins and i really want to upgrade to the bolt on calipers.

is there any aftermarket company that makes the knuckles? ive seen a few but only for king pins.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
No idea but dodge is more plentiful in yards lol

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
But someone said before about unit bearings is only thing so I'm not sure, eithet way axle came from dana

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I don't have much info on the Dodge knuckle other than hearing about some people upgrading to Ford knuckles on their Dodge. You would possibly need the stub shafts... heck just get the whole Dodge axle and swap everything from the knuckle outwards. Worst case you would need to reuse the C's from the Dodge axle and get custom length shafts. You would probably find more info on pirate4x4, IIRC that's where I read something about the knuckles.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well my father in law is going to check in the middle of the state where he lives (florida) there are a lot of old powerstrokes up there so maybe ill be able to get an axel soon. ill keep you guys who are interested updated on this.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well its been a while and a lot of searching with no luck on finding some bolt on knuckles.

So im fully open to just replacing my 92-94 slide pin caliper knuckle.

Does anyone know of a passenger side slide pin caliper knuckle that is being sold!!! I havent driven my truck in almost 2 months, im getting desperate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts