Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to color match my intake manifold, intake elbow, compressor cover, CAC tubes, alternator cover, oil filter housing. I've done tons of searching and still haven't found a definiative answer on this. My main concern is painting items that may get too hot.

Does the intake manifold, compressor cover, or oil filter hosing get hot enough to ruin non high temp paint?

The reason I ask this, is that it is very hard to find color match high temp paint.
Would it be possible to use a high temp primer, a normal color match paint, and finally covered with a high temp clear coat?

I know I could always get it powdercoatinf, but the time it would take to have done is too long. Besides I would like to save money and do it my self.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I color matched my intake manifold, turbo, valve covers and a few other things all with high temp primer and regular home depot paint. I pressure was regularly and have noticed zero discoloration or chipping. Go for it bro just clean it good. I spent weeks cleaning grease off with a wire brush when i was bulletproofing the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Id post a pic but apparently im not an active enough member and am not allowed too yet.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I'd say anything close to the turbo is too hot for non high-temp paint. Maybe anywhere. The previous owner of my CAI painted the shield and even that peeled.

...but why guess? Get some of these in sorted ranges and stick them on the surfaces that you want to paint:

I'm sure that you can find them on eBay.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfect, I'm getting most of the parts steam cleaned by a local shop for like 50 dollars so I don't have to worry about the cleaning. Did sand down the vlave covers or anything?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah after i cleaned the covers i just ruffed it up too adhere everything well

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im no professional but if you just take your time and be patient it can turn out really badass

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I gotta say I love that color you painted the intake and turbo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad somebody else likes it. I tried to match the king ranch gold trim. Its just $6 dollar rustolium. Haha

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Regular automotive paint with proper prep will work fine.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Listen to this guy ^^^, he's a pro.
Yes to that. My CAI must not have been prepped right by the PO. Everything that I've painted has been high temp flat black and - of course - that's held.

I do like the copper engine color scheme. Very nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts