Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my fuel pump has been sounding louder than normal at cycling the key and you can here it running when the truck is at idle. When i step on it first and second gear shift fine and then it falls on its face. I will have smoke at first and then i lose the fuel i guess and then it is starving for fuel. I think i got some $hity fuel and i believe i got some crud in the fuel pump... How do i go about cleaning the pump out? I got a tech that is going to drive it and see what he thinks but i though i would pick your guys brain first! Any help???

·
Registered
435 Posts
Before I messed with the fuel pump I would change the fuel filter and do a fuel pressure test, i dont think you can clean the fuel pump its normally a sealed unit. Its either good or bad.

To be honest with you the first step would be to scan for codes, and see if its something else.

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am getting a code for injector or something but we did the buzz test and all work. i have changed fuel filter about 7 hundred miles ago... i didnt know if i could un hook the fuel line and hook up air and blow air backwards through the pump:dunno:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Drop the tank and clean the fuel pick up assembly. Then while the tank is dropped do the two tank mods. One is the Harpoon mod and the other I do not know the name of. But it changes the connections at the tank and prevents air from getting into the fuel lines.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
that would be the harpoon mod and the prepump stuff you were going to buy from Nate :) -- might as well go ahead and give it all a shot! specially if you've already changed your filter..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts