Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
Not that new to the forums (I've been reading a LOOOOOTTT) and I'm not new to mechanical endeavors at all. But I just bought an 06 6.0L F350, and don't know much about it other than what I've been reading and educating myself on.

As far as a walkthrough or some kind of instruction/direction as to changing the thermostat, I can't seem to find any.

Can someone help me out with this?
Where is it?
How to replace it?
How much coolant to drain, and from where?

Thanks!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to give a few details on this job as well.
06 F350
260,000 KM on the truck.
Deltas were within about 5, never more than 7 degrees until recently.
Seems that the thermostat is stuck open. On a 20 minute drive on the highway it wouldn't get up to 190 degrees.
Sat mostly around 176 ~ 180.

Not sure if any EGR delete was done.
It has orange coolant in it, but not sure if it's regular orange or some CAT EC-1 type stuff. Any way to test?

Figured that first things first, I'm going to put in a coolant filter.
I just received my IPR high flow coolant filter, that I want to run on the truck for several thousand KM's if I can to filter out as much crap as I can, then I plan to do a coolant flush, as well as an EGR delete and I'm thinking the remote oil cooler set up. All IPR gear.

So when I do the Thermostat, I plan to install the Coolant filter as well.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I put a CLEAN 5 gallon bucket under driver's side of radiator and drained there. I xferred that to a CLEAN 1 gallon jug to refill the system.

The Motorcraft thermostat came with the housing. I can't remember if I broke the fuel lines loose for more access or not. I think I undid the EBP thingy for access puposes though. At any rate, there are only 2 bolts holding it in. A long extension, the proper metric socket, done. I also didn't remove hose until I had housing out for more control.

The coolant filter was pretty straight forward, too. The Sinister directions were easy to follow.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Ford and all aftermarket Tstats come with the housing.

Place a 5 gallon pail under radiator.

Drain the coolant.

Pull upper radiator hose.

On back side of upper hose you'll see the tstat housing.

IIRC I also pulled the air intake hose out of the way to get some room and used a long extension with a wobble to get at the housing bolts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help folks.
One more question. Where do I refill the coolant and is there a burping procedure?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
I really wish the Search function was this easy to use on my VW forum....

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
One more question. Where do I refill the coolant and is there a burping procedure?

Thanks again!
:eek:.............

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
It's that black and "clear" plastic container bolted to the firewall just behind the air cleaner assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I really wish the Search function was this easy to use on my VW forum....
You have a vw...............? Hehehe......

Jk............:D

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts

My dad's VW diesel Jetta which he bought new had over 400,000 miles on when he sold it. All he did was change oil and all filters twice a year.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts

YES I have a 2004 R32 that I'm currently performing a Vortech V2 Supercharger build on... Should be around 4-450 Wheel HP.

-Ellery

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
YES I have a 2004 R32 that I'm currently performing a Vortech V2 Supercharger build on... Should be around 4-450 Wheel HP.

-Ellery
Whoa, thats pretty cool. You gonna have trouble keepin tires on that thing. Lol.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:eek:.............

In regards to your answer about me asking where I fill the coolant and a burping procedure, I can see how that would make me look like an idiot if read the wrong way.

I haven't had the time to tear into this motor or even open the hood much.

In past experiences tearing into several VW motors, my dads 3400 GM motor, my I6 4.0L Jeep motor, as well as a couple of friends, there were times when it was helpful and or necessary to fill from the highest point on the motor/rad specifically via the upper coolant hose and/or the radiator cap if applicable.

Then reconnect the hose and fill the overflow if it had one (2 of my old vw's did not have overflows and were pressurized via the rad/overflow cap. )

As for burping procedures, the VW burping procedure never really worked, and as many people as I talked to said it would, in the first couple of cycles, require an additional makeshift overflow container that wedged into the overflow bottle to catch all the coolant that would otherwise spew out of the coolant tank, as the pressure and air would cause a mountainous surge of coolant to come out, that would then need to go back in.

I have had success using an empty 1L oil container or 2L pop bottle, withk some tape and a plastic connector to wedge into the top of the overflow bottle, and when the thermostat opens and closes a couple of times, it burps up into it each and every time when getting the air out of the system.

I was more asking if there was any specifics about the burping procedure and if there was any need to fill the coolant as best as possible (which I did in fact do and worked great) from the top of the thermostat housing before putting the new thermostat in.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts

Thanks again!
^^^ this is a much different
question

In regards to your answer about me asking where I fill the coolant and a burping procedure, I can see how that would make me look like an idiot if read the wrong way.

I haven't had the time to tear into this motor or even open the hood much.

In past experiences tearing into several VW motors, my dads 3400 GM motor, my I6 4.0L Jeep motor, as well as a couple of friends, there were times when it was helpful and or necessary to fill from the highest point on the motor/rad specifically via the upper coolant hose and/or the radiator cap if applicable.

Then reconnect the hose and fill the overflow if it had one (2 of my old vw's did not have overflows and were pressurized via the rad/overflow cap. )

As for burping procedures, the VW burping procedure never really worked, and as many people as I talked to said it would, in the first couple of cycles, require an additional makeshift overflow container that wedged into the overflow bottle to catch all the coolant that would otherwise spew out of the coolant tank, as the pressure and air would cause a mountainous surge of coolant to come out, that would then need to go back in.

I have had success using an empty 1L oil container or 2L pop bottle, withk some tape and a plastic connector to wedge into the top of the overflow bottle, and when the thermostat opens and closes a couple of times, it burps up into it each and every time when getting the air out of the system.

I was more asking if there was any specifics about the burping procedure and if there was any need to fill the coolant as best as possible (which I did in fact do and worked great) from the top of the thermostat housing before putting the new thermostat in.
Than this^^^........your overthinking it a bit on the 6.0. Just fill er up, run it up to temp, with the heater on, carefully release the pressure, and repeat a few times then monitor the level for a few days. The new revised coolant level is at or below the min line, I run mine a little low.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^ this is a much different
question

Than this^^^........your overthinking it a bit on the 6.0. Just fill er up, run it up to temp, with the heater on, carefully release the pressure, and repeat a few times then monitor the level for a few days. The new revised coolant level is at or below the min line, I run mine a little low.

YES!

Well, one was only a simple answer and my explanation of why I asked a seemingly, simply answered question was just an example of why I wanted to clarify the process of something that is in fact quite simple.

Pretty much what you stated is what I did. Filled up the coolant before I put the thermostat in, put it all together, filled the overflow, left the cap off and let it get up to temp, topping off to the min line on the overflow tank.

I just preferred to know in advance instead of having to make a new thread asking how to rebuild a motor I overheated or something silly :)

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
There are some youtube videos from srmastertech, loads of info, good stuff. Check it out when you get a chance.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are some youtube videos from srmastertech, loads of info, good stuff. Check it out when you get a chance.

Thx. I have checked out some of those videos along with many other randoms already.

I did complete this job quite some time ago with little issue, along with doing the blue spring mod and installing the IPR coolant filter.

All went quite smoothly and the truck had little to burp if any.

·
Administrator
30,926 Posts
best way to fill these systems is under vacuum since they can have air pockets
the vacuum eliminates the issue

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
best way to fill these systems is under vacuum since they can have air pockets
the vacuum eliminates the issue
Not to hijack but what is a good tool for doing this?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts