Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more than a little disturbing...i just bought 6 new tires for my SD last week and i had no idea there was a date to show when they were manufactured. I will haveto go down and look at the date and if they are old, you can bet i will be taking them back.

ABC News

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
I don't keep tires on long enough lol but that's still not cool!

·
Registered
891 Posts
WOW:doh:. Learn something new everyday. Something I will be watching out for in the future.

·
Slacker
19,118 Posts
Wow, thanks for the info, Clay. I'll have to check mine, now...

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
They are old enough to tell me not to go through that mud. But still young enough to try.:rofl:

I seen this on other sites I belong to. Really don't know what to think about it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
yeah before i go and buy some new tires im deff going to check that out.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Yeah its part of the dot number. We had to take that number in the computer when a set was sold at NTB, also If they we older then 30 days old they where sent back. NTB will not sell any tires older then that.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
good info clay I will have to check my tires out

·
Registered
786 Posts
So the dealer had one tire that was 6 years old. Big deal, that means every other tire they had was newer.

There on sale, they're obviously not top notch. Don't be cheap and get decent tires.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
thats a big thing i believe that happen in sears. they were selling tires that the Dot were like 3-4 and even 5 years old. I got a pair of back tires on my beater and my buddy had them sitting at his shop since 06..i threw them right on my 97 mazda b2300..been doing 70+ on them everyday no problems lol

·
Registered
371 Posts
Warehousing is too expensive. Your chances of getting tires that are more than a few months old is very slim. Exceptions would be clearance items and discontinued stock. I just don't get old tires shipped to my store so I'm betting you are safe.

·
Slacker
19,118 Posts
3807 on mine.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
yeah, its all in the DOT numbers....whats the big deal if they are older? The warranty starts at the date sold not the date wholesaled....as long as they aren't in the sun baking, then there would be no issue and no difference between a 6 yr old and a 6 month old tire.....

·
Slacker
19,118 Posts
Well, except that the rubber begins to break down the moment it is formed...

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Wont the rubber be harder if it is a little older (meaning it should last longer) .... We let all our new tractor tires sit outside for a couple months before we install them... Fresh ones wear out to fast.... What would be so bad if they were 5-6 months old???

·
4,488 Posts
Wont the rubber be harder if it is a little older (meaning it should last longer) .... We let all our new tractor tires sit outside for a couple months before we install them... Fresh ones wear out to fast.... What would be so bad if they were 5-6 months old???
5 or 6 months would be no biggie, and about the tractor tires I wouldnt think they would do enough revolutions per minute to matter.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts