Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how much? Is a 6000 lb boat (trailer weight factored in) too heavy to tow without brakes? Also in tow will be three non-malnutritioned human resembling subjects, a full tank of diesel, and maybe 4-500 lbs of gear in the back of the truck, for a 500+ mile trip each way. Truck is a SD F-250. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I have a trailer that doesnt have brakes. It a nice homemade trailer and the brakes are laying there,just not installed yet. I have towed 14,000lbs on it but DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. It was a short distance on mostly back roads.

I dont thing 6,000 would be much of a safety problem, just might have to replace brakes alittle more often on the truck.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
eh, you'll probalby be ok. I mean, drive smart, dont stop short, plan turns..500+ miles you wont be using a lot of brakes anyways.

If you've got a lot of hilly areas ya might consider brakes, but you'll prolly be ok anyways.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Frankly I won't tow more than 1500 lbs without trailer brakes. I've seen too many wrecks from people doing that to feel at all comfortable with it. Yea most of the time you'll be fine but a little rain, dirt, snow or whatever on the road combined with someone doing something stupid in front of you and even with ABS one of our trucks will come around on you. Even under ideal conditions it can take allot longer than you'll like to come to a stop. In some states you can get a ticket for towing over a a certain amount without brakes.

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
why are there no brakes on the trailer that must be a fairly big boat to weigh in at 6000 i would put brakes on it if it where me

·
Registered
956 Posts
I've done about that much weight 6k, the truck just felt heavy to brake. I planned my turns and left plenty of space. It made me more nervous than it actually was difficult but it's better to be worried and cautious than wreckless. Be safe, if this is your boat and trailer put some brakes on it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
My boat weighs about 4500 when its full and has no brakes. Pulling with my old half ton scared the snot out of me! pulling with my truck still scares me but I am much more comfortable. I have a 12 foot enclosed trailer that weighs 3k empty and has brakes on both axels (the guy i got it from ordered it that way) Its VERY nice to have the bakes on there. I would like to add some to my boat some day!

I moved my 5th wheel around once without the brakes and will NEVER do that again (12k ish). I was only pulling it out of the driveway, going about 300 feet down the road and backed it into my buddies driveway for a few days. Even that little pull was not fun at all!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I planned my turns and left plenty of space
Always a good idea. The problem is you can't always get the cooperation of the other knuckleheads on the road with this.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Remember it is never the expected that causes problems and we never have to worry about how much we can pull; only how much we can stop.

·
Registered
856 Posts
So, how much? Is a 6000 lb boat (trailer weight factored in) too heavy to tow without brakes? Also in tow will be three non-malnutritioned human resembling subjects, a full tank of diesel, and maybe 4-500 lbs of gear in the back of the truck, for a 500+ mile trip each way. Truck is a SD F-250. Thanks!
Last month I pulled around 5 or 6k with my 02 7.3l. Lifted and 37s. It wasn't terrible, but trailer brakes should would have been nice. I'd say your cool as long as you are smart about it. It will stop, just not fast.

W

·
0 Posts
here is the question you need to answer.... are you comfortable towing without brakes.... will you be able to sleep at night if something goes worng and you injure or kill someone if you cant stop in time, even though it might not be your fault... so what you have to ask yourself "is it worth the risk???"

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
why are there no brakes on the trailer that must be a fairly big boat to weigh in at 6000 i would put brakes on it if it where me
The trailer may very well have brakes. It isn't my trailer and I'm not going to be the one hauling it. I know my truck doesn't have anything to activate the brakes, so with that in mind, what is a good system to install in my truck that will activate the trailer brakes (if it does have brakes)? And for future trailer braking? Are these units mostly compatible and have universal hookups?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
If the boat trailer has brakes, they are probably surge brakes which work off the force of the trailer pushing on the tow vehicle when the tow vehicle is applying its brakes. They also like to work when backing up which can suck.

Last time I towed a trailer without brakes, 12' cargo single axle maybe 4k with a 95 250, I had to abandon efforts to stop while going down a hill at 5mph in the rain. It is no fun when your load is pushing you and you can't stop.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Just do the EBPV mod and make yourself a nice jake brake. That will fix your problems (or at least help)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just do the EBPV mod and make yourself a nice jake brake. That will fix your problems (or at least help)
This is a great mod and will help under some circumstances but is actually worse than using the truck brakes alone if the road is slick.

As JSchurichts indicated most boat trailers had surge brakes so you don't need a controller in the truck. Any of the Tekonsha proportional brake controllers will do an excellent job with electric brakes. Proportional Controllers - Tekonsha

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Ya thats true unless the truck is for some reason in 4x4. But I'm just throwing options out there.. and this option only costs like $35

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Check your local state law. If you get in a wreck thats not your fault but your over the weight limit and didn't have brakes then chances are you'll be at fault. And also its more of a safety issue for the other people on the road than just yourself. They have families as well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Years ago I had a stupidly loaded trailer whip around on me at about 65 MPH on the highway. Right around the second time I had the steering cranked over against the stops trying to keep the sideways truck in front of the even more sideways trailer I would have given all the money I had plus some to be able to hit the override on a trailer brake controller to bring it back in line. When I finally got everything pointed in the right direction the cost of a brake controller (which had seemed excessive moments ago) seemed quite reasonable. I bought one that afternoon and have installed one on the first or second day of ownership on every truck I've had since.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts